You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please ignore this. I didn’t read the requirements properly (see below).

The Selection Brush will do a lot of the work for you – see very-quickly-and-crudely-done attached image – but you will need to put in a lot of time to get it done well (and for a wedding photo it has to be perfect).
There are quite a few tutorials in the Tutorials section of the forums about isolating things/people from various kinds of background.
I don’t envy you having to do such precise work on a photo that means so much to so many people.
(I haven’t attached my afphoto file as it would be no use to you as you would have to start again anyway.)

Annotation 2019-12-10 123209.png

Edited by GarryP
Oops. Got it wrong again.

• Staff

Hi GarryP,
I believe the OP is referring specifically to the veil - the piece of white fine material worn by women in weddings (and other situations/events) to cover the head/face - which is by far the most problematic item to select correctly. It doesn't appear in your selection in the screenshot above.

Topaz ReMask 5 would probably be the best app to use, ironically the new Topaz Mask Ai is useless with this sort of project.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It could be done I think but it will be a lot of work and require a certain degree of artistry too.

Attached is what I have after an hour or so’s work and is by no means perfect and needs a lot more work! There maybe better ways of doing this in AP so consider this more as a proof of concept.
My working file is also attached. Vail_Mask.afphoto

I started by finding a suitable background that has a similar level of defused neutral light to match the original image.
Duplicate the original image and turn the original off.
On the duplicate use Frequency Separation to retain the vail’s texture.
(You can use the Clone Tool or Patch Tool to fill-in areas of texture on the vail that originally had the white car behind those areas.)
On the new background mask off the areas that shouldn’t be seen. Tweak exposure, HSL, etc… to taste and nest them within the background layer.
Add a pixel layer and drop the High Frequency layer into it.
With the pixel layer selected start painting in a new vail with a soft paint brush using the “ghost” image in the High Frequency as your guide.
Do the folds of the vail on separate layer/s for greater control.

So yes I think it could be done in Affinity Photo but it will not be done with just a few clicks! It will take a considerable amount of time and patience.

1560622799_VailMask.thumb.jpg.28e9612220993d713443c3ea692b11e9.jpg

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Forget it. Way too much effort involved.

Wait until they divorce then take the next wedding pictures against the right background.

veil.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, markw said:

It could be done I think but it will be a lot of work and require a certain degree of artistry too.

Attached is what I have after an hour or so’s work and is by no means perfect and needs a lot more work! There maybe better ways of doing this in AP so consider this more as a proof of concept.
My working file is also attached. Vail_Mask.afphoto

I started by finding a suitable background that has a similar level of defused neutral light to match the original image.
Duplicate the original image and turn the original off.
On the duplicate use Frequency Separation to retain the vail’s texture.
(You can use the Clone Tool or Patch Tool to fill-in areas of texture on the vail that originally had the white car behind those areas.)
On the new background mask off the areas that shouldn’t be seen. Tweak exposure, HSL, etc… to taste and nest them within the background layer.
Add a pixel layer and drop the High Frequency layer into it.
With the pixel layer selected start painting in a new vail with a soft paint brush using the “ghost” image in the High Frequency as your guide.
Do the folds of the vail on separate layer/s for greater control.

So yes I think it could be done in Affinity Photo but it will not be done with just a few clicks! It will take a considerable amount of time and patience.

1560622799_VailMask.thumb.jpg.28e9612220993d713443c3ea692b11e9.jpg

A valiant attempt Mark.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...

This process in Photoshop achieves the desired effect, can it be translated to Affinity?

To Extract Bride With “See-Through” Veil

Copy the background onto a new layer, click the mask icon, lower the transparency to about 60%.  Bring in your new background and place it below the Background Copy layer. Free transform and move it as necessary to get the desired effect. Bring the Background Copy layer back to 100%.

On the background copy layer, make a selection of the bride, including the veil. Right click and make it into a work path. Rename it “Full Bride”. Cmd-click to select.  In the Channels window, make a new channel. Fill with white. Rename it “Full Bride”. Select All.  Copy the channel to the clipboard. Opt-click the background layer mask. Paste.  Deselect.

Select the Background Copy layer.  Carefully select an area of the veil that needs to be transparent to the background. Right click and make it into a work path. Rename the path “Veil 1 ”. Cmd-click to select.  In the Channels window, look at the separate channels and select the one that has the best detail in this part of the veil.  From the main menu, select Image >Calculations. Set Source 1 Layer to “Merged” and the Channel to your selected one. Set Source 2 Layer to “Background Copy” and Channel to “Full Bride”.  Set Blending mode to “Multiply”, place a check mark in the Mask checkbox.  Under Mask set Layer to “Merged” and set Channel to “Selection”. For Result select “New Channel”. Click OK. Name it “Veil 1”. Deselect.  Repeat this with new names if there is more than one transparent area.

Select “Veil 1” path, make it a selection, feather 1, anti-alias, click on the corresponding channel, copy it. In the Layers window, select the background copy layer, then opt-click on the mask, then paste. Deselect. Repeat for each “Veil” path.

In the Layers window, select the background copy layer, then opt-click on the mask. Go to the Paths window, cmd-click “Veil 1” path to make a selection. In the Image->Adjustments window, select Levels and adjust the sliders to suit. In the Layer Mask window, feather a few pixels if necessary. Deselect.  Repeat for each “Veil” path.

Select layers and merge as required.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:10 AM, OKernel said:

This process in Photoshop achieves the desired effect, can it be translated to Affinity?

I am new to Affinity, so can an old hand have a look at my Photoshop process to see if it can be translated?

The example file with good contrast between veil and background could be a 2 minute job.

just use a copy of the veil, and tweak blend range to exclude darker parts. Job done.

Ps

spend another 3 minutes to get separate bride and veil by curve mask.

4E29AE33-4DDF-4792-97F3-F8DDBC33E3C7.png

bride vein.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

51 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

just use a copy of the veil, and tweak blend range to exclude darker parts. Job done.

I have just tried that and for my purposes it works very well.  Problem solved.

Thank you NotMyFault for the response.