You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export text levels to paths automatically

2 hours ago, rizzosan67 said:

This is a simple request: a checkbox to select when exporting in vector formats (PDF -SVG), to automatically convert text levels to paths. In some cases it may be useful.

For PDF, it's available in the More... options when exporting, though not as a checkbox:
image.png.04cdd14eaef61c20ccc91cc80014ef09.png

For SVG, it's already available, in that same part of the Export dialog, as a checkbox:

image.png.3b39c61eae986f22dc63aad1c44ab810.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Sandro.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 years later...

Dusting off an old topic, but it comes close to what I'm looking for....

I have lots of artwork files that I need to export for print. Their layout is the same in all cases and looks very much like a CAD drawing, with a border and title block that holds information about fonts, colours, sizes etc. Any text in the artwork area (but not the title block) has to be converted to paths/curves when it is saved out to PDF for print. I don't really want to convert all of the text in the title block to curves. Equally, any conversion of text to curves that I do, I don't want to be destructive in case I need to update the file in future. In Export Persona , is there a way to set a region of the artboard that will convert text curves?

Thanks, Matt

7 hours ago, TFG said:

Any text in the artwork area (but not the title block) has to be converted to paths/curves when it is saved out to PDF for print.

Why does some of the text need to be converted?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, TFG said:

Any text in the artwork area (but not the title block) has to be converted to paths/curves when it is saved out to PDF for print.

You should be able to just select the Text frames and use Layer > Convert to Curves. This would be done before Export so save a copy and do the converting then export that and the "title block" would still be text as text.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Why does some of the text need to be converted?

It seems pointless to convert all of the title block text to paths. Thereafter, it can't be edited.

I've got hundreds (possibly thousands, in time) of these files to create and any/all of them may need to be updated at some point in the future. Having to keep 'saved out' versions of each update to each one (with everything converted to paths) as well as the fully editable version of the same file will become a nightmare to manage. I've had to do that with a lot of CAD files in the past and I don't want to go there again.

The Export persona facility caters for this very need, as it's non-destructive. Slices is a further step and could give me what I need within the artwork area of the file, but I can't see a way of setting up a Slice within the complete artboard so that both the region with the Slice setting (namely text to curves) and the rest of the artboard (namely text as text) are exported to a print-ready PDF as one. The tools to do what I need are all there, but there doesn't appear to be a way of combining them into a single document at export.

56 minutes ago, TFG said:

It seems pointless to convert all of the title block text to paths. Thereafter, it can't be edited.

You didn't answer the question. Why does any of the text need to be converted. Why not just export it all as text?

-- Walt
PC:

Because the part of the file that is to be printed has to be converted to vectors. It's company policy, to avoid discrepancies in the reading of fonts at suppliers, which we've ha bad experiences with in the past. The job(s) could go out to any number of suppliers, all with different setups. We don't have control over that.