You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cannot export pdf from publisher

mistergarth

I'm slowly getting the hang of Publisher, but I just ran into an odd problem. One particular project simply will not export as a pdf. I've exported other Publisher projects as pdfs just fine, but this one just throws up an error "an error occurred while exporting..." FWIW, the export dialog box never calculates a file size, either. This project is very simple. It's one page. It has text, a placed tif file, and a placed eps file. I can export it as a png or a jpg, but not as a pdf. Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

jointhemovement.afpub

misergarth,

Trying to open you project gave this missing resource error. I said I'd try and find it and the problem file was identified as 'bernie-logo-black.eps'. I did a jpg export as a full A4 sheet but the photo of Bernie appeared a a nearly complete blur.

Edit: I clicked 'Yes' before; going to 'Resource Manager' gave more information.

Regards,

Carl

missing.jpg

jointhemovement2.jpg

I've developed a hypothesis. Unfortunately, I can't test it until I get back to my office computer in the morning. The tif file uses an Adobe font which subscribers can activate online and use in their projects. Publisher wasn't recognizing the font, but Photoshop was, so I did a little text wrap in Photoshop and placed the tif in Publisher. But I didn't rasterize the font, so Publisher is probably having problems embedding it in the pdf, but the preview version is good enough to make a jpeg. I'll try rasterizing the font in the tif tomorrow.

There isn't a live font in a tiff file (i.e., the font is rasterized). It would need to be a psd or a pdf made from ps for live text.

And to clarify, I was using the release version of APub. No problems opening the file like Lagarto.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Calculates size in less than a second, exports in a couple seconds.

I'm using Windows and likely a different version of your font.

Same here, using the 1.7.3 Mac retail version:

I downloaded the .afpub & the 2 linked files to the same folder, so I did not get a warning about missing resources. The .afpub file opened without issues (other than the missing font warning) in about 4 seconds on my old & underpowered iMac. I only exported to PDF using the 'for export' preset (which worked fine) but I tried each of the export preset options & for each of them the file size calculation took no more than 2 seconds or so.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

...can you open the TIFF file in Photoshop CS6 without problems (I assume that you have that installed)?

Sorry. With this new computer I haven't installed PS. I hardly ever use it. That tiff opens fine in PhotoLine, too (which is what I mainly use). The problem probably is the image's embedded profile, which PL reports as "Display."

Hmmmm.....

I'm using Publisher 1.7.3

I tried a version of the tif file without text. Same problem.

I deleted the eps file. Same problem.

I changed the text in Publisher from Clarendon to Caslon. The problem disappeared.

So, apparently there's something wrong with this particular version/copy of Clarendon.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using 1.7.x . It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script.

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the current 1.8.3 release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon