You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know you can't "select unused" swatch colours and delete them, but how do you select multiple swatches for deletion? Deleting a swatch is already a pain as it's a two step process, with a confirmation dialogue, because "it's not an un-doable operation". Why isn't it an un-doable operation?

Also, from a UI standpoint, I found how to add a swatch by right-clicking an object and using the flyout menu. That's great but I would never have thought of it without the manual - I was was looking for some way to add a swatch from the currently selected colour (the thingywatsit in the un-dockable toolbox that shows the currently selected stroke and fill colours). At least put a right-click menu on those to add swatches methinks.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

7 hours ago, AndyQ said:

Why isn't it an un-doable operation?

Good question. It's because deleting the color from an application swatch isn't recorded in the History stack. (Which makes sense, since the History stack is for changes to the document.)

However, deleting a swatch from the document palette is undoable. It claims it is not undoable, and it claims that if it's a global color it will be detached. But those claims are only true when deleting from an application palette. If deleting from the document palette the operation is fully undoable.

7 hours ago, AndyQ said:

(the thingywatsit in the un-dockable toolbox that shows the currently selected stroke and fill colours

If you mean the thingywatsit at the bottom of the Tools panel when the Tools are undocked, it's also available when docked as long as you've configured the Tools to have 2 columns or more:

image.png.1a316365f1e33a8881b893f010d1846c.png

No, you can't add a color to the swatches from that. You do it by right-clicking on the object as you've found, or (for a subset of the possibilities you get by right-clicking) you can click on the icon in the Swatches panel:

image.png.fc859c57d27a589e42e5208a7b5363a0.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you mean the thingywatsit at the bottom of the Tools panel when the Tools are undocked, it's also available when docked as long as you've configured the Tools to have 2 columns o

That's the thingywatsit I'm talking about. I can't help myself - I just want to grab that colour and drag it to the colour swatches....it's an unbearable compulsion and seems so obviously natural and efficient. I guess anywhere there's a colour it should be "draggable" to the swatches really. Must faster than going through a frenzy of clicking and selecting

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

3 hours ago, AndyQ said:

I just want to grab that colour and drag it to the colour swatches....it's an unbearable compulsion and seems so obviously natural and efficient.

Keep in mind that a color swatch can contain a gradient with two or more color stops so there must be some way of specifying which (if any) one of them a user wants the dragged color to apply to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...

The swatches panel user interface isn't very intuitive. In fact, most of the options are very labor-intensive. For instance, I would also like to delete several swatch fills with a single operation. Otherwise, deleting 10 swatch fills would require: first right click on swatch; then click delete color; then click yes to confirm.

Imagine you have a base color of blue. You have 4 tints of the same blue for highlights, and 5 shades of the blue for shadows in a design. Deleting them all would require 30 (10 swatches by 3 clicks each) clicks to delete. 

Now imagine 20, 30 or 40 swatches in a large document palette. Hundreds of clicks.

• 1 year later...

This is definitely an area that needs looking into. Having created a document palette from a supplied graphic it has created many more than the apparent swatches and deleting them out is a painful exercise. Intention to add and convert the few colours to global for easy across doc editing, didn't happen!

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases

• 1 year later...

If this area of Affinity Publisher is getting a closer look, I would love to suggest the 'delete unused' feature. When I start out a design, I experiment with many colors. In the final, I just want the colors that are being used. And from this I like to create a palette to bring forward for a campaign. However, in Affinity Publisher, I must click on every element in my design, determine which color in the palette is being used, and try to remember those that are not in order to delete them. This seems like an obvious feature that was just missed and should be added.