You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need someone to help me. I have attached an image of a Bull and Rider and need to change the ground color to a brown color. I used Lightroom and under the HUE control bar it had a little picker that I could move over the area and while holding the left mouse button and dragging up or down would just change the color to what I needed. How can I do this in Affinity?

Plus Lightroom had a slider called Texture anything like that in Affinity, it was really handy.

Thanks

Victor 

16.jpg

• Staff

Hi VLBurdick,

Welcome to the forums :)

There are a few ways of doing this in Affinity Photo, firstly the closest replication to the Lightroom function you have described is the HSL adjustment layer. Go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>HSL, in the dialog that opens select one of the 'colour dots', I used the yellow. Now click 'Picker' and then left click on the ground in your image. Now adjust the Hue, Saturation and Luminosity until you are happy with the results. I've attached a quick screen recording of this below -

Another way of achieving this is to use the Selective Colour Adjustment. Go to Layer>New Adjustment Layer>Selective Colour. In the dialog that opens make sure the Colour dropdown is set to Yellows and Relative is ticked, then adjust the sliders until you are happy with the colour of the ground. I've attached another quick recording below -

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

They’re both great little videos, thanks Dan.

I think that’s the first time I’ve seen anything about the Selective Colour Adjustment. That adjustment might need an official video – if one doesn’t already exist – as it looks like a very useful function if used properly.

I prefer the second method as it gives a better result on the bull too – it’s still a bit too yellow on the first one.

• Staff

No problem at all :)

I agree, there is a 'legacy' tutorial for Split Toning and Selective Colour (https://player.vimeo.com/video/136106053/) but this could certainly do with being updated - I'll have a word with our wonderful James Ritson and recommend he adds it to the list!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I think it would be great if – and this is probably “pie in the sky” thinking – each Adjustment and Filter had its own video tutorial.

I realise that would take a boat-load of time and effort but it would be great for us beginners to just sit down and watch someone taking their time to show us various things we can do with each adjustment/filter and showing us what each part of that specific functionality does, and when we should use it, on different images. Just one adjustment/filter in each video.

Rather than the very quick “Do this, do that other thing, switch this, add that, don’t dawdle we haven’t got time, add this, adjust that, do these other things, and we’re done” approach of some of the current videos, a nice slow “Notice how this changes when I do this? That’s because...; I’ll move this and see how that other thing changes in a subtle way because...; Did you see how that other thing changed when I made this change? Here’s why...” is much more down my street. I think a lot of people like me would benefit from having a set of training wheels until they’re more proficient.

Also, since the individual adjustments/filters probably won’t change a whole lot from version to version, they should be up-to-date for longer and not become ‘legacy videos’ as often. So not as much time would be needed to make new videos, except for the new stuff.
If people get to know how to use the ‘bread and butter’ functionality they will enjoy using the software more because they will know what they are doing. Teach a man to fish, and all that.

Please don’t get me wrong; the current videos show lovely results, and are great adverts for the software, but they frequently show only what can be done to a specific image and leave me (mostly) clueless as to how I can use each step in my own work as there isn’t enough information for me to tell what’s going on. Because of that, when I’m working on my own stuff, I normally end up just throwing random functionality at it and seeing what sticks. Nice enough for experimentation, but not great for anything in the ‘real world’.

• Staff

Hi @GarryP, the new tutorials are very much focused on this approach, are you referring to them or the legacy set?

For example, the new set (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87161-official-affinity-photo-desktop-tutorials/) has a Selective Colour tutorial amongst other tutorials that look at specific filters and adjustments—Curves, Gradient map, Levels, Shadows/highlights, Displace, Denoise, Radial blur, Clarity, Channel mixer, White balance, Black & white, Zoom blur, Procedural Texture, etc...

With the new tutorials, there's less of a focus on multiple techniques in one video, although sometimes this approach may be required. The videos also need to be kept fairly to-the-point because we now get them transcribed and translated into 8 different languages (which is particularly expensive)—there's also the issue of engagement, where many viewers don't make it through lengthy videos, and we have to take that into consideration as well. I would love to be able to produce more videos in-between major releases but time is quite limited, so it will tend to be during or just after updates to the app when you'll find more tutorials being made available.

Hope the above helps, and thanks for your feedback!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James: I think I’ve been watching a mix of videos and there’s so much to take in that I end up getting a bit overwhelmed with all the tools and functionality that’s available. Sometimes it feels like I’m being taken on a ride where the landscape flashes by too quickly for me to see it properly. That’s not the fault of the tutorials or the software, that’s just my own limitations. (I actually prefer written tutorials over videos.)
The official videos – even the old ones – are way better than some non-official videos that I have watched where the tutor seems to be more intent on showing off what they have just learned rather than teaching anyone anything.
I guess I’ll just have to stick with watching them again and again and hope things start to stick in my brain better.
Cheers.