You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I have been a PS user forever ( it seems) but now I am looking forward to using Affinity

I have been searching for a Polygonal Lasso Tool  .. or equivalent .. with no success at all ..

It may just be me .. but I can't find it ...   :)

I rely on this tool more than any other. 

Can you help please 

• Staff

Hello Stewpod1946,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The equivalent in Affinity Photo is called Free Hand Selection Tool and it's accessible trough a menu if you click and hold the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

To draw straight lines with it press ⇧ (shift) and click on canvas.

The equivalent in Affinity Photo is called Free Hand Selection Tool and it's accessible trough a menu if you click and hold the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

To draw straight lines with it press ⇧ (shift).

I cannot get the SHIFT key to trigger Straight Line functionality as you describe.  I am using Affinity Photo 1.3.4.

But even if that's a bug and you fix it, the fact remains that Photoshop's Polygonal Lasso Tool (PLT) works differently from AP's Free Hand Selection Tool (FST).  With the PLT, you click multiple times to slowly create your selection.  Even if you did have the means to create straight lines with the FST, the fact remains the FST does not use a "Path Tool" style means of selection.  Therefore, it would be nice to see a true PST equivalent in AP.

Thanks.

Hi,

I was also looking for a tool similar to the PS Polygonal Lasso, but Affinity's freehand tool doesn't really come up to my expectations, cause it lacks some precision (as you're not able to create straight lines - <shift> doesn't work).

So I tried the pencil instead. You can create a path with it and convert that into a selection afterwards. It's very similar to the PL but...

It's not possible (afaik) to add or substract any further selections that way like you can do with the PL.

It's a pity, but as long as Affinity doesn't offer that feature, I still have to use different programs for different work steps. :-(

• Staff

Hi be2011, JDW,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You have to press ⇧ (shift) and click on canvas. Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more clear.

@JDW

The Free Hand Tool is the closest we have to Photoshop's Polygonal Lasso Tool. It doesn't work necessarily the same way. 

Anyway it's already on our roadmap to be improved.

You have to press ⇧ (shift) and click on canvas. Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more clear.

My apologies.  My thinking cap wasn't on yesterday!   :blink:

I get it now.  Works just like Photoshop's Polygonal Lasso Tool except for these two things:

1. AP requires you to press the Shift key and keep it held down during your selection (okay, you don't have to hold it down all the time, but are you really going to press and unpress it just prior to each click?  No!), which may not be desirable in cases where you are spending a long time making an intricate selection.

2. AP auto draws the closing segment of the selection as you are making your selection.  I find that interesting.  Not sure if it is desirable or undesirable.  But I will say that (1) is more of an issue than (2).

Maybe an easy fix would be to allow CapsLock to eliminate the need to hold down the Shift key.  The goal here is to allow the selection to be made without the need for constant pressing of a key or the mouse button.

• 1 month later...

I agree with JDW. Furthermore, I've been forced to start over a complex selection becouse if you un-press the shift key, AP closes the selection, no matter if you wanted it or not. I was thinking on posting the polygonal lasso independent tool as a feature request, but your CapsLock idea will be perfect as well.

• 1 year later...

Need help with freehand and polygonal lasso tool. My main problem, already at the beginning of making selection I see two lines so that there is always closed lasso are seen as you can see here http://andruskannel.planet.ee/affinity/lasso.jpg When I look at the tutorial here in tutoriaI section I see one line like this is in Photoshop. What am I doing wrong. And how can I move image when I reach the edge of the window? I mean if photo zoomed 100% and I want make selection further to part that is hidden. 

Bought today Windows Affinity Photo version and as old Photoshop user I'm in trouble. Sorry my English.