You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have not used Affinity Publisher much yet but have just started using it and am trying to move a Frame Text without snapping (i.e fine movements). According to the help text at the bottom of the screen when I hover over a Frame Text object it says 'Alt to ignore snapping'. When I try to use this option by holding down ALT and dragging the object it does seem to ignore snapping, but also duplicates it (. Simple task which I don't that my lack of use of publisher is showing or if there is a bug, which if there was Im sure would have been identified by now.  

N.B. I've just found out how to move without snapping. So just in case anyone else is confused as I was. You first have to click, hold and start moving the object before you press ALT. This worked for me, but I am sure there is an easier way of doing this (and if not there should be).

I think you might have found a bug.
As far as I’m aware, what should happen is this:
* ALT = while this key is being pressed, temporarily turn snapping off;
* CTRL = while this key is being pressed, clone the current layer being dragged, or the layer about to be dragged;
* ALT+CTRL = both of the above.
However, as you say, keeping ALT pressed before dragging causes the layer to also be cloned, which duplicates the action of ALT+CTRL. I don’t think ALT should have any cloning functionality.

The way it works (in all the Affinity apps & for any object selected with the Move Tool) is if you hold down the Alt key before you start the drag, a duplicate will be created & then for as long as the key is still held down, snapping will be disabled. However, if you start the drag & then hold down the key, no duplicate will be created.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Unfortunately, that’s not what it says in the status bar.
Ctrl to clone, Alt to ignore snapping.
Nothing about Alt having two different uses depending on when you use it.
Does the Help have any information on this (I can’t find any yet but there’s a lot to look through)?

Annotation 2019-12-09 134407.png

• Staff

Hi all :)

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The way it works (in all the Affinity apps & for any object selected with the Move Tool) is if you hold down the Alt key before you start the drag, a duplicate will be created & then for as long as the key is still held down, snapping will be disabled. However, if you start the drag & then hold down the key, no duplicate will be created.

I can confirm the above is correct and is the same in all Affinity apps.

27 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Unfortunately, that’s not what it says in the status bar.

I've just bought this up with our QA team and they agree this is not very clear, so I will be logging a bug with dev to have this changed in all apps on Mac/Windows to be clearer in the future.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for the replies.

It definitely needs to be clearer. The help text at the bottom of the app window does indicate that the ALT key will ignore snapping and nothing else and if as Garry mentioned its not clear in the help files, then it may well need to be addressed.

Thanks again for your input.