You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a round logo that I want to crop out from a white background (JPG image). The Vector Crop Tool only seems to let me crop in boxes.  Surely there is a simple way to select a circular area of an image and crop that out, to save what's inside the circle.  Please advise ASAP.  Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, ACPhillips said:

JPG image

JPEG does not support transparency, you must use eg PNG.

ADe: Pixel Persona, Elliptical Marque Selection, Del. Document with Transparent background (set in Document Setup). 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Draw a round shape (ellipse) over the part of the JPG image you want to keep.

Then in the Layers panel drag that shape over the thumbnail of the image layer to mask the image to the shape

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

11 minutes ago, ACPhillips said:

carl123    I tried that but what is the step to save only the round section of the image?  

Thanks.

If by "save" you mean export

Select the background (pixel layer) then...

File > Export > PNG

Select "Selection without background" in the Area drop-down box

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123.   Yes.. I tried that but when I select the original file (JPG) and try to save at PNG w/o background I get the same image.  The white bkgrnd does not drop out. See attached AD file. In the attached  are both the original (RT) and the saved PNG ((L).

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If by "save" you mean export

Select the background (pixel layer) then...

File > Export > PNG

Select "Selection without background" in the Area drop-down box

AS Round Logo - Sample.afdesign

You used a rectangle shape for the mask you need to use a circle

See attached 

AS Round Logo - Sample2.afdesign

Just the circular red logo on a transparent background (attached logo is a PNG with transparency) ...

circle_on_trans_background.thumb.png.1c4aa3f4632a7344a1f0f42809d8b21c.png

Convert the image layer to pixel (raster) via the layer commands, then via the Pixel persona make a circular selection more exact than mine here and copy over to doc with a transparent background. Save the whole as a PNG to keep the transparency outside of the circle. - That just in case you want to have your circular logo stand alone. Otherwise for usage inside your actual document follow Carls advice.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 minutes ago, ACPhillips said:

Sorry... newbie to AD.

Not a problem

Upload what you have now with the circle layer