You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Real Smoke (675 pixels).ABRI tried to import several ABR Brushes into my AP iPadOS Pro 1.7.3.155 and each crashed.  I imported from Files, iCloud Drive, not local storage.  I made a short screen video, cutting out private info, using iMovie.  I did go to a Settings, General, iPad Storage, Photo and cleared data and re-downloaded.  I also shut down iPad, to ensure data was cleared.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

2 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Cecil,

This also happens for me, I will get this logged with our developers.

Thanks

C

Thank you.  Several ABR brushes crashed.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

My first post, new Affinity user - woohoo :)

Except I came here to hopefully find a fix for this exact issue. I just purchased all of the Affinity apps on Mac, and also on iPad - and bought many of the additional brush packs. I successfully got one set to install on my iPad, but was especially disappointed got the "DAUB PaintBox Brush Pack" - which says it was "Specifically created for iPad"...except I'm unable to install any of the brushes in that pack onto my iPad in either Photo (or Designer, even though they are raster brushes).

The screen mostly just either freezes or crashes. But, when I do "Import" brushes, and navigate to my iPad's "Downloads" folder or just my iCloud drive - it lets me go into the folder with the brushes (they aren't .zipped or anything), but I am unable to actually select any of the brush files. When I tap on one, nothing happens and I have to cancel.

If I try to just open one of the brush files from my Downloads or iCloud drive, they refuse to open in anything. If I try to use the Share button in the Files app to open them into either Affinity app, I can't, because they aren't listed.

I was really looking forward to trying out these brushes that are iPad-specific...I really hope this can be fixed quickly? Thanks in advance.

Open Affinity Photo, go to Brushes, on top you will see three lines, click on that and a menu should open.  Click Import Brushes, go to your iCloud ABR file and click on it.  Some ABR brushes will import, not always.  This is a known problem.

Cecil 

5 hours ago, Cecil said:

Open Affinity Photo, go to Brushes, on top you will see three lines, click on that and a menu should open.  Click Import Brushes, go to your iCloud ABR file and click on it.  Some ABR brushes will import, not always.  This is a known problem.

Thank you for the help and letting us know that it's a known problem. I've successfully imported a few other brush .abr files, but for whatever reason, that iPad-specific package (DAUB PaintBox Brush Pack) just won't install. I can choose import in Photo on iPad, which opens up the Files view, and I see the .abr files in there - but when I click on them, nothing happens.

...When 'touched' on screen, the icon dims but then un-dims back to the normal icon when I take my finger off the screen. I've tried it on my local iPad storage and iCloud hosted, but they do the same. The .abr file just won't open/import. Almost like back in the old Mac days when "Creator Codes" were heavily relied on for a file to open in the correct app. In the Files app, it at least shows that I can try to open the .abr files into any number of apps, however no Affinity apps are listed.

Not sure if any of that helps the development team, but thank you for looking into it.

Since the brushes won't open, should I just request a refund for that package specifically (and test the other packages I purchased to see if the same thing happens)? Or should I wait it out? Sorry for all of the questions, as mentioned, I'm new to the forums and Affinity software so I'm just learning the ropes. I'm just not sure how often Affinity apps get updated, and am worried that my return-period will run out before things are fixed and I'll be stuck with a bunch of brush packs, etc. that don't work. Thanks again, I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with these issues.

1 hour ago, Sticks said:

Since the brushes won't open, should I just request a refund for that package specifically (and test the other packages I purchased to see if the same thing happens)? Or should I wait it out?

Sorry, I’m a user, as you.  Cost is consideration and timing on refund policy.

I, if refund was available, would go that route.  When Serif announces fix, you should be able to purchase same brush pack.

Cecil 

On 12/11/2019 at 11:21 AM, Cecil said:

Sorry, I’m a user, as you.  Cost is consideration and timing on refund policy.

I, if refund was available, would go that route.  When Serif announces fix, you should be able to purchase same brush pack.

Ah ok - Developer or not, thank you for the tips. :)

I grabbed some brush bundles during the recent Cyber promotion, which I'd assume I'd lose the discount on if I returned them and purchased later. I'll try contacting them to see what they recommend.

Like I mentioned before, I'm super-new to Affinity (and really like things so far - both on my Mac and on my iPad). The recent promo finally pushed me over the edge and I bought up everything I could find...though I still have my Adobe subscription until I learn and get a bit more experience with these apps.

The one thing I find a bit odd about this specific issue (with the brushes not importing) is that during the promo a few days ago, those DAUB "Specifically Made for iPad" was one of only about 10 or so packs in the Affinity store to purchase. I guess I'm just wondering if there is anyone that is able to use these successfully (as well as some other brushes, I got a couple to work, but not all)?

I'm probably not coming across in text very well, but I'm not trying to complain - as I like what I've been able to use so far. But if there were known issues, it's just strange that they would have been put in the official store only a few days ago and said that they were compatible. So maybe some users actually have been able to get that specific DAUB iPad brush set to work...I wonder, if anyone knows?

Understand,  I had the same issue on my iPad Pro and logged the problem.  Hold them if you fell comfortable with what you paid and if issue is not fixed, before Affinity 2.0, which will required all users to purchase to update.  I think the issue will be fixed, no promisees.

Cecil 

On 12/12/2019 at 12:31 PM, Cecil said:

Understand,  I had the same issue on my iPad Pro and logged the problem.  Hold them if you fell comfortable with what you paid and if issue is not fixed, before Affinity 2.0, which will required all users to purchase to update.  I think the issue will be fixed, no promisees.

Yikes, after grabbing all of these 1.x versions (even at a reduced rate, it was still expensive if v2 is coming very soon), I really hope they can get some updates out way before v2. I know it is all unknown and you're just pointing it out, but I'm really hoping that there still plenty of life left in the 1.x releases; I'll happily purchase all of these apps again (For Mac and iOS) for v2 when it's time, but at this point there's a huge pool of new users like me that are just barely got our feet wet...it wouldn't be the best impression to send to the community if v2 came out in no less than a year from now.

For all of the new users, we don't have the experience necessary with these apps yet to make an informed decision of whether or not these apps are the right tool for each of our jobs, making buying a v2 license, at least for myself, a no-go if it came too soon unless there was a huge discount for all of us who are new users that just bought the suite of apps.

Just talking hypotheticals though, I know (or at least don't think?) that any end-user knows how soon a major release is coming. I also don't know what their track record of updates is like though, so I should probably go and look into that as well. Thanks again for your help and tips!

Version one will continue a valid, useable and great program, after V2 is released. Optional to purchase V2, if needed. 

Cecil