You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rounded corner and frame on image

Hi all - I am brand new to this software (purchased and downloaded last evening!) and need to create an image that's got rounded corners, a thin white 'frame' around the image, and a transparent background (which shows as a thin 'frame' outside of the thin white 'frame') for posting to social and to a website. I've tried using the corner tool, but the little icons to grab and pull in (to create the rounded corners) do not show up for me. I've tried grouping all the layers of the image, and have tried saving the image as a .png and re-opening that way and still the selectors do not show up. What am I doing wrong, any ideas? 

I've attached a screenshot of the top of an image created in PicMonkey that's showing what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm using Affinity Designer on a Mac.

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I forgot any relevant info! :-)

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 3.32.00 PM.png

There are several different possible ways to do what you are after in AD. - One quick way would be ...

1. Create a new transparent document of desired size.
  2. Add a rounded rectangle shape, the rounded corner radius can be adjusted on top at the tools settings.
  3. Place your image into the document, clip it to the rounded rect shape.
  4. Add another stroke to the rounded rect of desired size and color.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

What Errka means is ...

1. Place your image into the doc, select it and then convert it to curves via the menu command "Layer > Convert to curves"
  2. Afterwards use the "Corner tool" from the toolsbar and apply the corner rounding to the 4 edges
  3. You can afterwards adjust just the stroke/contour of the image to make that white rounding as shown previously (or place it on a rounded shape as I show this time), note however that applying just the stroke then is more precise and exact.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

BTW, I've forgotten to mention that when using the toolbar "Corner tool" you can when it's activated, also first select all 4 corner points and apply then the radius rounding all at once for all 4 corners equally, that's then more time usage efficient, than I showed in the vid with single selected corner point manipulations. - However with single corner point selection and manipulation you can give all those 4 corners then also different roundings in case needed or wanted.