You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Picasa Successor from Affinity

Hi Affinity!

I totally love your suite of products. And after using already Photo and publisher.. here's one suggstion for a market opportunity: There are lots of people looking for a decent picasa successor that can be used like picasa was used. I mean folder-based, non-cloud, basic Photo editing Image browsing.

Here are some other users looking for an alternative

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4287459?page=5

As with Catalina, OSX32bit Apps are outdated, there's a real gap now. Affinity has the power to create something like this easily, I guess. :) What do you think?

Regards
!

Try search "DAM" on forum.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Cool, I didn't know this type of Software was called DAM. Actually I still want to emphasize on the point of the Picasa concept. I tried a lot of DAMs and Picasa was the only one to fit my needs. So if Affinity plans a DAM (yay!), then I want to suggest that it may have Picasa as its blueprint. ;)

It might help if you detailed what, specifically, you liked about Picassa vs the others :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

On 12/13/2019 at 3:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

It might help if you detailed what, specifically, you liked about Picassa vs the others :)

What I love about Picasa is these gems that I found nowhere else:

• indexing my own folder structure
  • indexing of defined folders only + watching for updates
  • printing possibilities: layout, border etc. The whole printing interface is very clever
  • annotations to images, starring etc
  • creating albums
  • batch export function (for albums or selected images from the stack) + export option directly to mail as attachment
  • the interface concept in general
  • quick image-editing (contrast, lightness, retouch, crop, adjust angle)

So basically, almost everything :D

I would so much love to see someone resurrect the concept of what picasa provided. I still hope for Affinity :)

• 1 year later...

I want this too !!

But ... I wonder if it's necessary for anyone to actually develop a new version of Picasa, given that it stil works beautifully ... 

The ONLY feature i would like implemented in picasa would be better RAW development. and finer adjustments for various edits... 

So ... I'd love to puchase a license for Affinity Photolibrary when they make one. Which has all the best features from Picasa + more

19 hours ago, MartinKirk said:

I want this too !!

But ... I wonder if it's necessary for anyone to actually develop a new version of Picasa, given that it stil works beautifully ... 

The ONLY feature i would like implemented in picasa would be better RAW development. and finer adjustments for various edits... 

So ... I'd love to puchase a license for Affinity Photolibrary when they make one. Which has all the best features from Picasa + more

The old versions of Picasa are still out there for download and use or you could use FastStone.

10 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I would like to see Affinity build a new Aperture. Photos is a joke on MacOS.

One of the unfortunate things about the current Apple leadership is their obsession with dumbing down professional grade software to the minimum level suitable only for use on Instagram, etc.

I can't see either Apple or Serif Europe developing a replacement for Aperture so alternatives include DigiKam, ACDSee Photo Studio and Lightroom Classic standalone. Some people have also had success in using Retroactive to get Aperture running on Big Sur on Intel Macs.

3 hours ago, Snapseed said:

The old versions of Picasa are still out there for download and use or you could use FastStone.

One of the unfortunate things about the current Apple leadership is their obsession with dumbing down professional grade software to the minimum level suitable only for use on Instagram, etc.

I can't see either Apple or Serif Europe developing a replacement for Aperture so alternatives include DigiKam, ACDSee Photo Studio and Lightroom Classic standalone. Some people have also had success in using Retroactive to get Aperture running on Big Sur on Intel Macs.

I think the issue with Apple now is lack of leadership and vision. Steve Jobs had a gift for seeing the possibilities and making it happen using talented people. Apple no longer has that which has put the company out of balance. It was once beautiful balanced between design and function, now it is tilted too far to the design while ignoring function.

3 minutes ago, wonderings said:

it is tilted too far to the design while ignoring function

Yes. I saw that with the 'old' Pages and Numbers versus the 'new' Pages and Numbers. FCP7 vs FCPX. And so on. So many features were removed. Apple's slogan for MacOS should be 'Giving you less with each update'. iDVD? Gone. iWeb? Gone.

If Apple Photos didn't have the word 'Apple' in the name it would rate about 1 star anywhere. I don't want to pay the Adobe tax so I use XnView as a DAM instead. It has its weak points but as a DAM it's much better than Photos.

As Snapseed alludes to above, it does seem that Apple target is Instagram users rather than something a bit higher up.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, LondonSquirrel said:

Yes. I saw that with the 'old' Pages and Numbers versus the 'new' Pages and Numbers. FCP7 vs FCPX. And so on. So many features were removed. Apple's slogan for MacOS should be 'Giving you less with each update'. iDVD? Gone. iWeb? Gone.

If Apple Photos didn't have the word 'Apple' in the name it would rate about 1 star anywhere. I don't want to pay the Adobe tax so I use XnView as a DAM instead. It has its weak points but as a DAM it's much better than Photos.

As Snapseed alludes to above, it does seem that Apple target is Instagram users rather than something a bit higher up.

This is the mildly controversial bit - Cook is a bean counter accountant and since the great majority of sales have been for iPhones, he's concentrated on them and simplifying everything to cater for their reduced requirements and that regrettably that means a lot of good software has now either been dumbed down, neglected or axed entirely. His official Apple biography describes him as a Fuqua Scholar and I would quite agree with that.

I'd like to think that if Steve Jobs had still been with us that he would not have gone down that route and that he would have ensured that professional Mac users were also catered for.

2 hours ago, Snapseed said:

I'd like to think that if Steve Jobs had still been with us that he would not have gone down that route and that he would have ensured that professional Mac users were also catered for.

I would like to think that as well. Now there is a big divide. I am a pro user but I do not need a Mac Pro, the power is way over the top for my needs and I would say most pro users needs. Sure would love to have a $70 K computer loaded to the hilt with all the best of the best Apple has to offer, the reality is though it would take me ages to make that back for it to pay for itself when with less I can make the same and pay off the hardware faster. They seem to think they are hitting the pro market by targeting a niche segment of it.