You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Logo review (IT Company)

Lafonia

Hiya!

I'm starting a new company from the ground and because its just me at this point (software development) I decided to do the logo and pretty much everything else myself =) 

Anyway, I'm not gonna mention the company name but to make sense of the logo lets say its called "DemoPlum", so the two predominant letters here (D and P) are used on the logo. I wanted something minimal that I can easily use as a flat logo on top of any color or background with any color variation.

I know its not pixel perfect, I need to work details on it but what do yous think? :2_grimacing:

dp_logo.thumb.jpg.49b2830b3d00531c1f9d5f02c7ca4f38.jpg

Do you need a logo?

If so, I think the plain blue & white versions above work best and would do so no matter the color and/or what they are placed on (think invoices, stationary, envelopes, changing website treatments, etc.).

I think in conjunction, a logo type (i.e., the text, DemoPlum or whatever) accompanying the logo is more critically important. This is especially true when joined with a logo or as standalone text treatment.

I would also encourage you to do extensive image searches (if you haven't already) with the proposed logo in order to determine if the design is close to an existing mark.

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Do you need a logo?

If so, I think the plain blue & white versions above work best and would do so no matter the color and/or what they are placed on (think invoices, stationary, envelopes, changing website treatments, etc.).

I think in conjunction, a logo type (i.e., the text, DemoPlum or whatever) accompanying the logo is more critically important. This is especially true when joined with a logo or as standalone text treatment.

I would also encourage you to do extensive image searches (if you haven't already) with the proposed logo in order to determine if the design is close to an existing mark.

What about something like:

slice1.thumb.png.7ca6991810b521a931e1c1865fa0b529.png

btw, I'm super interested in the first line ion your reply: "Do you need a logo?" Its that not a thing? to have a logo. I don't know why, I just instinctively had the idea in mind that I wanted to have a logo... do I need it? good question, I still think I do but I just can't objectively justify it... I'm puzzled now... =)

1 hour ago, Lafonia said:

What about something like: ...

btw, I'm super interested in the first line ion your reply: "Do you need a logo?" Its that not a thing? to have a logo. I don't know why, I just instinctively had the idea in mind that I wanted to have a logo... do I need it? good question, I still think I do but I just can't objectively justify it... I'm puzzled now... =)

I like that treatment...as long as it was a conscious decision to swap the colors between the logo and text.

I always ask that question. Many/most companies simply want a logo because "everyone else has one," which isn't true, of course. Think of FedEx, for which the logo type serves both purposes (and hides an element in the negative space. Quite brilliant, really).

Anyway, it is a question that every company should ask itself.

Nice, I'll just add another advice: don't forget totest your logo at different sizes, not only the big one on screen that'll never be in real use.

Perhaps you'll need a bolder or larger font for it to be readable on business cards and as signature, and you'll rarely use a big version of your logo… 

42 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Nice, I'll just add another advice: don't forget totest your logo at different sizes, not only the big one on screen that'll never be in real use.

Perhaps you'll need a bolder or larger font for it to be readable on business cards and as signature, and you'll rarely use a big version of your logo… 

Thanks for the advice, I think it looks much better now, switched to lowercase but bold and larger text, looks ok even on small version. Have a look...

slice1.thumb.png.437b6cfd77f545980ed182f282b84682.png

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I like that treatment...as long as it was a conscious decision to swap the colors between the logo and text.

I always ask that question. Many/most companies simply want a logo because "everyone else has one," which isn't true, of course. Think of FedEx, for which the logo type serves both purposes (and hides an element in the negative space. Quite brilliant, really).

Anyway, it is a question that every company should ask itself.

That's very good to have in mind, thanks for your advise.

That's nice too, but depending of your activity, capitals is perhaps better (unless you need to convey solidity, strongness). Try to have more space between the characters, at least between "l", "u" and "m", straight lines need more space to be readable.

I did variations with your first logo, adding bold to the font (and a little bit more for the blue characters, since visualy it's less visible than the white ones).
It's a fine font, what's its' name?

slice1v2.thumb.png.91ad543235526a50e5597408f0fa54f6.png

Here the file to play around :) (done with the Bêta version)

slice1.afdesign

11 minutes ago, Wosven said:

That's nice too, but depending of your activity, capitals is perhaps better (unless you need to convey solidity, strongness). Try to have more space between the characters, at least between "l", "u" and "m", straight lines need more space to be readable.

I did variations with your first logo, adding bold to the font (and a little bit more for the blue characters, since visualy it's less visible than the white ones).
It's a fine font, what's its' name?

slice1v2.thumb.png.91ad543235526a50e5597408f0fa54f6.png

Here the file to play around :) (done with the Bêta version)

slice1.afdesign

Hey! thanks for the suggestions and variations! they're great =D

Font is Dado Sans Pro Light

I have some extra comments/questions (which may or may not be useful):

1. Which word is most important in “DemoPlum”? Obviously neither since it’s not the real name of the company, but the most important word should probably be given the most-easily-seen colour. As it currently is, Demo is the thing that stands out most on a dark background. Is this what you want people to see first?

2. Have you thought about how the logo and logotype will look when printed on white paper? Will the white parts of the logo and logotype be changed to black, or something else? How will this look? Would this hurt the overall ‘feel’ of it?

3. What happens when you need to print the logo and logotype in portrait (one on top of the other) rather than landscape? For example, you might need to display it in a square because of space limitations on a building entrance sign, or whatever. Which should go on top? Does this cause problems?

4. To expand a little on what MikeW said early on, you might want to get in touch with a company that does marketing legal stuff (not just in your own country) to make sure that the logo/logotype/name isn’t already used by someone, either locally or globally. They might charge a fair bit (I have no idea how much this sort of thing costs but I imagine it will be a lot) but it’s better than later getting sued and having to change all of your marketing materials (and maybe company name) quickly and expensively.

5. Also, expanding on what Mike W said above but in a slightly different area related to my last point, if you don’t have a logo there’s no way the logo can be seen to be copying that of another company. Less expense, less hassle, less worry. You can always get a logo if/when you actually need one later on. And, if you don’t have a logo then no-one else can copy yours and lead you into suing them with all the expense and hassle that would entail.

I don’t know if any of that is useful to you but I thought I’d mention it all the same.

Until you mentioned it I had not realized that the logo was intended to be d and p.

If you want to convey d and p then maybe have a longer ascender on the d and a longer descender on the p.

I quite like the multicolour versions but maybe the plain one is more practical. Though you could have both, for use in different contexts.

Maybe also one done in outline to avoid messy printing where the solid colour might not come out well? Would that be an outline of the whole logo or outlines of each of the parts of the shape?

Maybe a large (approximately two metres by approximately two metres) version of the outlines of all the parts of the shape made up of bronze rods as a sculpture could be a work of art in the foyer of your offices if the business grows.

William

By the way, I am not a professional designer, just a hobbyist, so the above is just me chatting as a hobbyist. I am not trained in art and design.

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.