You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.0 - bugfix release?

Before anything - I don't want to start any forum war, start any prolonged discussion about how software X or software Y is better then the other, I also don't want to accuse devs of not doing enough or anything negative... I also didn't wanted to hijack somebody's thread so I decided to make new topic.
With that out of the way... ;)
It is a simple question - should we expect any NEW, major/minor features from 1.8.0 final or it meant to be mainly bugfix release? I am fine either way, I know sometimes it is necessary for better future development. Just wondering. I dont want to know what features either - unless you want to tease me some :D .

1 hour ago, nezumi said:

It is a simple question - should we expect any NEW, major/minor features from 1.8.0 final

We've already seen (in the 1.8 beta releases for Windows thus far):

• Improved EXIF data support
  • Improved handling of lens profiles in the Develop Persona.
  • CR3 raw file support

There will probably be more, but only Serif knows what they might be.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As for me, before implementing some extra super-duper features, devs are thinking to make stable all previous major things. And then connect other new functionality )))

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

4 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

As for me, before implementing some extra super-duper features, devs are thinking to make stable all previous major things. And then connect other new functionality )))

I didn't asked for opinion about importance of new features over the bug fixing, did I? I have provided long explanation about how I DONT want that even. It was a simple question. Yet here we are...

I am not stating in any form, that my post is direct answer to your question. I just share my thoughts as others. Developers always looking for balance between stability and adding new features. Also there can be different definitions about bugfix/feature - somebody call it bug, somebody - feature :) Also the team could change their previous decisions or statements, when facing new trouble while trying to implement new features. It can depend from software engine itself (it structure, hardware limit) or by other reasons that will be found in near future.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, walt.farrell said:

but only Serif knows what they might be.

MattP post a message, that explain, i think, devs major slogan

We already have a full tracing engine that we used within the more recent drawPlus versions - it's actually pretty good, but there are a few flaws that actually add up to being enough of a problem that we were unhappy to include it at present. We'd rather include no tracing functionality at all until we have something we can be proud of - it's just the way that we like to work :) If we weren't happy, then within a few hours you'd see why and then you'd be unhappy too - and that's not what anybody wants...

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.