You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

show/hide guides and snapping not working

Gedd

Just purchased Affinty photo and I am very disappointed by the way guides and snapping are implemented. In short snapping just doesn't work, you just can't tell whether snapping is on or off , its  not positive enough when snapping to either guides or the grid , I have tried this on 2 separate machines and get the same result. Secondly show/hide guides is also not working , the guides just stay on screen , again this happens on 2 separate machines. You really need to check out how this REALLY  BASIC FUNCTIONALITY works in Photoshop and other graphics programmes too because this is the worst I have ever seen. Please fix this asap.

IT DOES NOT WORK AS IT SHOULD  !!! The snapping is barely noticeable and the shortcut to hide or show the guides DOES NOT WORK, the guides just stay on screen . I have tried it on 2 different  windows PCs with the same result. Do you have  issues with certain graphics card ?

I have noticed the snap works with vector shapes but not with making selections. I will say it again , the show/hide guides command simply doesn't work and neither does remove all guides in the guides manager. Please do not ask me to deny the evidence of my own eyes, I will post a video of the behaviour later.

Thanks for the video, @Gedd.

Two comments:

1. There are two kinds of Guides, and it would have helped to know you were talking about Column Guides, not Ruler Guides, as they are supposed to act differently.

Ruler Guides are the lines that you drag out of the rulers, or that you set in the left part of the Guides manager. As described in the Help, they are controlled by View > Show Guides.

"Column Guides" are setup only in the Guides manager, and (according to the Help) are removed by adjusting the numbers on the right side of the Guide Manager. Thus, they are not supposed to be removed by the Remove All Guides button.

However, the Help says they are shown/hidden by a different option, View > Show Column Guides. Serif will have to say whether there's a bug, and what it is, but I can say that I have never seen the menu action View > Show Column Guides in Affinity Photo on my Windows system using US English. The option is present in Designer and Publisher. I suspect the Help is correct and the option is missing.

2. Please check your Snapping Options by clicking on the pulldown arrow to the right of the magnet in the Toolbar and make sure that Snap to Guides is checked. However, even with that, a Marquee Selection will only snap to a Ruler Guide when it is being drawn. It will not snap to a Column Guide.

It will, however, snap to a Column Guide when you are using the Move Tool to move the selection marquee, or change its size. Again, I think Serif will need to comment on the proper behavior.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

thanks for the reply ,  this has resolved the problem but it is absurdly ambiguous not to make a more positive  distinction between the 2 types of guides, they are bound to get confused. But 2 questions arise, why can't you snap to column guides and how do you create evenly spaced ruler guides? What's the point of column guides if you can't snap to them? Even ruler guides aren't snapping to column guides ? They really need to make this distinction less ambiguous in the UI , its never been a problem in any other software I've ever used.

UPDATE : Yay!!  I have discovered that ruler guides snap to column guides with 'only snap to visible objects' selected in the snapping manager.

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Edited by Gedd

You can snap objects to column guides, but you cannot snap selection marquees to column guides.

Edit: To avoid confusion for others, I would also like to point out that I didn't say anything that is (as I write this) in the immediately preceding post :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 12/7/2019 at 10:59 PM, walt.farrell said:

However, the Help says they are shown/hidden by a different option, View > Show Column Guides. Serif will have to say whether there's a bug, and what it is, but I can say that I have never seen the menu action View > Show Column Guides in Affinity Photo on my Windows system using US English. The option is present in Designer and Publisher. I suspect the Help is correct and the option is missing.

Hi Walt,

That's right. The option seems to be missing. I logged this with our developers.