You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop Files Printing In Affinity

Hi,

I have Photoshop files that print on my Canon printer just as my screen shows and the site I sell them on also prints the same. When I bring these Photoshop files into Affinity, Designer, Photo and Publisher the color and definition are awful like it’s missing. I’ve tried both RGB and CMYK on the files and on the document setup.

I bought these programs to make a PDF file for a book. Learning 3 at once is a little tough. The files look correct on the screen but they don’t print as they look in any Affinity program.

Is there a setting that has eluded me?

I appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks,

Barbara

• Staff

It would help if we had an example of how the files look in PS and Affinity Photo to compare. If you can upload a sample file that would be great, if you don't want  share the file on the forum you can send me a download link via PM. Also which colour profile does the document currently have, is this detected when importing into Affinity?

When printing what settings are you selecting?

Have you tried exporting to PDF and then printing?

Can you also confirm which OS you're using.

48 minutes ago, Lee D said:

if you don't want  share the file on the fiorum you can send me a download link via PM. 

Question unrelated to Op.  How do you PM a download link if you do not have a third party source.  It would be great if PM allowed Drag Files here, or choose Files.  Imsert other media does not allow you to attach file from Finder.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Hi Lee and Cecil,

The files look the same on screen in both Affinity (all 3 programs) and Photoshop. Affinity does recognize the color profiles on all files. I’ve tried it with both CMYK and RGB in Affinity, it prints bad, but the screen image is the same as Photoshop. It’s not just one, it’s all photographs.

Last night I exported the file of 5 pages as PDF and opened in Photoshop and printed it and it was great. But not from Affinity.

I’m using MacOS Mojave ver. 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3

Affinity Designer 1.7.2

Photoshop CS6

(I don’t know how to PM either, but it’s all photographs so the file wouldn’t matter.)

Thanks,

Barbara

38 minutes ago, Cecil said:

How do you PM a download link if you do not have a third party source.

Why not get a third-party source? There are a number of free ones, starting (perhaps) with Google, DropBox, or OneDrive. But there are others, too.

While it would be convenient to allow file sharing via PMs, I suspect that Serif might have that function disabled intentionally, as it could lead to the forum becoming a file-sharing service for inappropriate content.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

50 minutes ago, BCN said:

Last night I exported the file of 5 pages as PDF and opened in Photoshop and printed it and it was great. But not from Affinity.

@Lee D asked for your printer settings. If you can provide that info someone can probably help you sort this out.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Why not get a third-party source? There are a number of free ones, starting (perhaps) with Google, DropBox, or OneDrive. But there are others, too.

While it would be convenient to allow file sharing via PMs, I suspect that Serif might have that function disabled intentionally, as it could lead to the forum becoming a file-sharing service for inappropriate content.

Walt I understand the concern; however, I don’t see inappropriate content in forum and know all post are reviewed.  For my security, Google, DropBox and OneDrive are not in my system, nor FaceBook or Twitter.  Insert other media is misleading, very limited.  Those having resources you suggested may then post inappropriate content.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

24 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Walt I understand the concern; however, I don’t see inappropriate content in forum and know all post are reviewed.  For my security, Google, DropBox and OneDrive are not in my system, nor FaceBook or Twitter.  Insert other media is misleading, very limited.  Those having resources you suggested may then post inappropriate content.  

Posts can be reviewed, but I do not think that all are actively reviewed. To some extent the moderators depend on users reporting inappropriate posts or posts with inappropriate content.

However, if private messages could contain attachments it would be much harder for Serif to ensure that a group of users didn't use the private messaging system as a private file interchange mechanism for inappropriate content. I don't know that it's the reason they haven't enabled it, but I administer another large forum system and it's one reason I wouldn't enable the option there.

Regarding Dropbox, etc: You can operate them (at least Dropbox) entirely via web browsing, with no direct or automatic access to your computer's file system. To share a file you would visit their website, and upload the individual file (just as you would upload a file to a post here). You would then get a file sharing link, and post it in a PM if you didn't want it generally available. So there's really no security effect on your system when used in that manor.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt: You can operate them (at least Dropbox) entirely via web browsing, with no direct or automatic access to your computer's file system.  I did not know that, thanks for sharing. However, if does open the same door for inappropriate content.

BTW, what would be the users information to send DropBox. Not a friendly “help” to enable sending file or one I could do with info provided.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

However, if does open the same door for inappropriate content.

BTW, what would be the users information to send DropBox. Not a friendly “help” to enable sending file or one I could do with info provided.

It does not have the same exposure to inappropriate content, as the content would not be stored on the Serif servers. That makes a legal difference.

If I understand your question, once you upload a file to Dropbox you would tell it you want to share a link, and it would give you. URL that you could send to anyone to make that file available.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

It does not have the same exposure to inappropriate content, as the content would not be stored on the Serif servers. That makes a legal difference.

If I understand your question, once you upload a file to Dropbox you would tell it you want to share a link, and it would give you. URL that you could send to anyone to make that file available.

Understanding now how legal server make a difference. Each attempt to try a DropBox link requires a login of email address or app, which I do not what to provide.  I search their web site, help, etc..  I believe you that it is there, I just cannot locate anonymous link.  No problem, thank you.

Cecil 

20 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Understanding now how legal server make a difference. Each attempt to try a DropBox link requires a login of email address or app, which I do not what to provide.  I search their web site, help, etc..  I believe you that it is there, I just cannot locate anonymous link.  No problem, thank you.

No, Dropbox does not allow anonymity. You do need to provide an email address, but that is true of most services that you can use on the web (including, for example, this forum).

But it is of course your choice whether you provide that to anyone, or not.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lee,

I’m sorry it took so long to get back to you on the printing issue, but I had to get the file done. Now I’ve found the dialogue box that will match my file and printer, I missed it before, and everything prints as the same as Photoshop. Thank you for your concern.

But I have 2 more questions:

1- I can’t export from the 3 PDF/X formats. It keeps giving me an error message but doesn’t tell me what the error is. PDF (for print) works but they required PDF/X-1a:2001. That isn’t in the list at all. But they said they a PDF/X version would be what they want.

2- If my photographs look right on the screen and I can adjust the setting to print from both Affinity and as a PDF from Adobe, can I be assured the PDF file that I send to the printer will also print correctly? That’s probably a stupid question but this has made me a little crazy.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks again,

Barbara