You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Shape Builder Tool

I'm sure it would be nice to have, but I'm also sure there's nothing you can do with a Shape Builder Tool that can't be done, in other ways, without it. :)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 5 weeks later...

Please, shape builder tool would be amazing.

For me, the ability to erase unwanted lines that overlap is super fast, and I think superior to boolean operations.

The next feature I'd vote for, would be live paint tool.

Being able to quickly trace artwork, then fill the shape-built traced areas with colors is an amazing, efficient and fast workflow in comparison to boolean workflow.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/12/2020 at 12:20 AM, mhulse said:

Please, shape builder tool would be amazing.

For me, the ability to erase unwanted lines that overlap is super fast, and I think superior to boolean operations.

The next feature I'd vote for, would be live paint tool.

Being able to quickly trace artwork, then fill the shape-built traced areas with colors is an amazing, efficient and fast workflow in comparison to boolean workflow.

In the meantime, you can still buy a copy of Serif's discontinued DrawPlus which actually has two items on your list there.  Shapebuilder, and live paint tool.  I just bought a couple extra copies myself for $15.99 each from Bonanza.  I can see DrawPlus on ebay for 2 dollars!  LOL  You can't go wrong even if you use it once and throw it away.  DrawPlus also has a true vector eraser and vector tracing of raster images, although it's very much hit and miss with some of this stuff.

49 minutes ago, Kuttyjoe said:

In the meantime, you can still buy a copy of Serif's discontinued DrawPlus which actually has two items on your list there.  Shapebuilder, and live paint tool.  I just bought a couple extra copies myself for $15.99 each from Bonanza.  I can see DrawPlus on ebay for 2 dollars!  LOL  You can't go wrong even if you use it once and throw it away.  DrawPlus also has a true vector eraser and vector tracing of raster images, although it's very much hit and miss with some of this stuff.

The Shape Builder Tool in DeawPlus has some problems with the accuracy in the results.

Best regards!

18 hours ago, Mithferion said:

The Shape Builder Tool in DeawPlus has some problems with the accuracy in the results.

Best regards!

Yeah.  And the other items I mentioned also have some quality problems, but for the current price it could be worth it.  Affinity Designer has problems too but people are using it.

• 3 months later...

I totally agree with this request. Something like the Shapebuilder Tool would be a HUGE addition to Affinity Designer in terms of ergonomy and speed of workflow.

I actually ignored the tool in Illustrator for some time as I already had other established ways (Pathfinder etc.) of combining shapes, but when I finally took up using the tool I was amazed how easy and intuitive it made the process. Even though I try to use Affinity Designer ever more and really want to prefer it to Illustrator I always find myself missing that super helpful tool every so often!

So please, please give AD version 1.9 an equivalent to the Shapebuilder Tool.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, chillywilson said:

The lack of shapebuilder style tools is the only reason why I still use illustrator, it's become an essential in modern workflow 

For me I wouldn't actually consider it a „KO criterium“ for not using Designer on the average design job but using the shapebuilder in AI is so much more convenient than the Pathfinder (or Geometry Tools in AD) that I'd feel much more at home with the program if there was one in AD.

Same goes for some decent envelope distortion tool (and – finally – support for SVG fonts)... Of course, you can always tell yourself: Well, it‘s not even version 2 yet, but then these are features that aren't exactly fresh on the map, as vector graphics in general go...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...