You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequency separation

So when you are trying to use the frequency separation it’s crashes.

I start with a raw photo then duplicate it. Do minor corrections like hearing brush tool. I select filter for the frequency separation select the needed amount then it crashes the whole software. It will do this 8 of to 10 times before working. 

I am on the newest Mac ISO Catalina.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the exact same issue. OS X 10.15.2. Affinity Photo 1.7.3. Every time I try to use Frequency Separation it crashes. Makes sure you set the Radius slider to the middle. If you leave the Radius slider all the way to the left then it won't crash. I have also attached a screen recording. The file I'm editing is a 26 megapixel tiff exported from Capture One. Originally it was a Fuji XT3 RAF (raw) file.

Edited by ChadR

Not sure. Do you want an image that demonstrates the crash? Do you want a crash report? I would like to get this bug fixed as frequency separation is extremely important to anyone doing retouching with Capture One. Any ETA on a fix?

• Staff
11 hours ago, ChadR said:

Not sure

What do you mean by this? Have you tried your workflow in Affinity Photo with a different file (not exported from Capture One, and not a TIFF)? What was the outcome? Since we can't replicate this issue on our end, we cannot say why it's crashing at this point. 

11 hours ago, ChadR said:

Do you want an image that demonstrates the crash?

Yes. Can you zip the image and upload it here?

I am also having this problem, Mac OS X 10.15.2 Affinity Photo 1.7.3. The image is a poor quality jpg from a scanned image that I am trying to improve. I tried setting the radius slider all the way to the left as advised above, but affinity photo still crashes every time I click apply.

• Staff

Hi ipb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you please try this: go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and disable/untick Enable Metal compute acceleration checkbox. Can you still reproduce the crash with Metal disabled? What's your system specs (namely the built-in a dedicated graphic card if you Mac have one)? Thanks.

I have confirmed it crashes on a Fuji RAF file. Previously I said it crashed on a TIFF generated from Capture One. It appears this bug has nothing to do with Capture One. File attached. It crashed for me when I set frequency separation radius to 39.8px. 

I have also confirmed that it appears to only crash when Metal is enabled. I tried multiple times. 0/2 crashes with Metal disabled. 2/2 crashes with Metal enabled. Hardware is attached.

DSCF9048.RAF

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 4.14.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 4.15.02 PM.png

@Gabe I’ve also sent the image file, steps to reproduce, hardware and OSX info. I’m  software engineer so if there is anything I can do to help you let me know. I’m in California USA in case you have anyone out here who wants to see it happen live and debug it. I’m also willing to run a debug build if you have one that collects more info on the crash. Really want to get this fixed soon. 

• Staff

Sorry I missed that. We've not got public debug builds.

Can you attach the crash report so I can log this with our developers? Also, any chance you can try and see if it crashes on a RGB/8 document? I see that you've not tried this yet. 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

Sorry I missed that. We've not got public debug builds.

Can you attach the crash report so I can log this with our developers? Also, any chance you can try and see if it crashes on a RGB/8 document? I see that you've not tried this yet. 

@Gabe do you have an email address I can send the crash report to? I don't want to post it publicly in case there is sensitive data in it.