You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Independent Transformation Layer and Mask

I just switched from PS to Affinity, but sadly the change-over is not as easy as I expected it to be. 

Lets say, I want to place a tree behind a house. Ill mask the tree in the shape of the house. Now I want to move or transform the tree in a certain way, but the mask should stay in place.

If I do that, the mask transforms as well. In Photoshop I could easily disconnect layer and mask, how do I do it with Affinity Photo?

Welcome to the forums.
Unless I have misunderstood your requirements, there are at least two ways to disconnect a mask from a layer:
1. Right-click the mask layer and choose “Release Mask” from the menu.
2. Drag the mask layer outside the layer it is currently masking – drag it above the currently-masked layer in the layer stack.
Does this help, or have I misunderstood?
If I have misunderstood, giving a visual idea (screen-grabs?) of what you are trying to do might make it easier for us to give a solution.

Or do you mean? If you click on the thumbnail of the mask in the Layer's Panel so only the mask is highlighted.  Then only the mask will be moved/transformed.

1602489019_ScreenShot2019-12-07at6_48_12AM.png.d17e2ad4853005027070d1c8f75f3074.png

Where as if you click on the image (or just about anywhere except the thumbnail of the mask) both will be moved/transformed.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

It's way easier than that. If you have a pixel layer and an associated mask (as a child layer) just select the layer with the Move tool and either check or un-check the "Lock Children" box in the Context Toolbar. If the checkbox is NOT checked, then the mask will transform along with the layer; if the checkbox IS checked, then the child layer (the mask) will stay the same when you transform the parent layer (the pixel layer).

1395335242_LockChildren.jpg.0a3aaaa2a84713bb9ea021cce905174b.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 2 years later...

There's a good solution provided here, but it only appears when you select the Move tool.

Two UX improvements would be:

1. Add a "lock transform" to the context menu of each child.

2. Add a small symbol to the layers panel on each child to show that they are locked.