You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just wondering if I'm the only one who dreads exporting a file to a .pdf? ;-)

Should I have to try export to .pdf a couple times before it all looks good? You can see what settings I'm using in the attached file. The text is the main issue; I tried to convert to curves but that looked even worse. & then images have outlines that shouldn't be there & aren't there in the  Affinity file.. the logo (a .png) always gets either a white outline to everything or else the one green line turns out to be gray.  Do any of you have some tried & true tips? Unfortunately I can't upload my file here, but would be willing to send the Affinity file & .pdf to the staff.

If this a known bug & being improved upon, I'm willing to live with it until you can get it fixed. Just thought maybe there is an answer to my problem that I'm missing.

Thanks! -Chul

Export.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On 12/6/2019 at 10:22 AM, Chul said:

Rasterization is now my friend. :) If I let it rasterize everything instead of unsupported properties, it looks perfect!

& now I'm back to the same old struggle because I don't want everything rasterized. you can see the differences it's doing once I export & then open my .pdf.

Do any of you have any tips to share? Need more info before you can? Feel free to just ask what you need to know! :)

image.png

image.png

• Staff

Sorry for the delayed response Chul, could you please provide a copy of your Affinity document so I can look into this for you?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your files!

What app are you using to preview these exported PDFs please? I'm not seeing the same results here with the PDF you've provided, or the PDF I've generated from your .afpub document.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all :)

15 hours ago, Chul said:

Just Adobe Reader XI.  You're thinking it might just be the .pdf viewer?

Thanks for letting me know, this is a common complaint with relatively small sized PDFs/vector objects - as certain PDF viewers will try to enhance how thin objects appear whilst viewing the PDF and this can cause rounding errors which is what you're seeing in your screenshots.

If you open Adobe Reader, then go to Edit>Preferences>Page Display and untick Enhance Thin Lines, this should mean these characters in your PDF display correctly, regardless of zoom level in the reader -

image.png

This is covered further in the below post :) 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/thick-letter-l-in-pdf/m-p/1311607?page=3

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thank you so much @Dan C! That definitely fixed the problem, what an easy solution! That would also explain the mystery of it looking okay printed but not digitally.  Thanks again for your time & help! I can't wait to export to .pdfs now. ;-)

Have a good day!

-Chul

• Staff

I'm glad to hear this, happy to help! :D

Please note -

Many thanks!