You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Presets – Feedback & Suggestions

I appreciate that the new "New..." window allows to show all properties for a new document in 1 view after unfolding all their sections. (I don't need to jump between tabs as in previous versions.)

A. I would appreciate even more if all properties sections could be set as unfolded. Currently I still need to unfold manually the "Color", "Margins" and "Bleed" sections every time I open this window. Unfortunately it does not keep my recent unfolded use after closing/reopening this window.

B. The preset sections don't remind my recent setting and "My Presets" are always at the bottom end, both in the pulldown menu and the icon view. Unfortunately they don't appear as first entry of sections. I'd appreciate to be able to hide some preset sections, e.g. by collapsing like for properties area. No user will need all sections in the same frequency, e.g. "Architects" don't need to see "Devices" presets permanently and vice versa.

C. The icons are very space demanding within this window– but give visually not much info. Actually they only show the ratio of a preset (portrait/landscape), which also is given numerically with its dimensions. Unfortunately the icons are quite large whereas the icon's text info (e.g. dimensions) is quite small, text size seems to got reduced to make the text fit inside the icons (by Design, for what reason?). This way to me the icons appear mainly disturbing than as an additional information. I'd appreciate to get rid of the icons and have a text list instead, possibly with tiny icons aside (like file icons in finder list view), that would be large enough to show their page orientation.

D. The presets are either in portrait or landscape orientation; some presets have margin of 25 mm, regardless of their size. – Unfortunately any change on a default preset can't be saved, instead I need to save an additional "My Preset". This makes the list of presets and their pixel wasting icons longer, even if a user wants to use e.g. the default "A4" but just as landscape format again and again.

A. Three sections need to be manually unfolded each time:

649855336_new...properties1.jpg.d065ae4320b2fa458994ac1b6ff367f7.jpg

B. "My Presets" are forced to the bottom of menu and icon view:

791564512_presetsmenu2.jpg.9cdd10a3f6e8346596f4aa161f55f16c.jpg

C. Preset icons need much screen space – but don't give information besides page orientation...:

1830687632_new...preseticons1.jpg.5a67891a80be7ee7cf85366ebbdbe86a.jpg

... instead their text info (respectively dimensions) appears quite small to fit into icons:

2147230020_new...preseticons2.jpg.69423f9441ca14fdfb071e11e4397792.jpg

1930992927_new...preseticons3.jpg.508288fd28268647889c595511ae5459.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I agree with A and B completely.  D is a fair point.

For C, I would argue that having the suggested list view would be a great option, but I believe the reason for the icons being as large as they are is to support templates, which may display a preview of the content (look at the sample), and it may be the intention that there could be a larger number of templates to scroll through at some point.

For the benefit of those primarily working with presets, I would suggest adding a list view as an option, as well as giving the option to scale the icons for those using the icon view: people using a mix of presets and templates, particularly on smaller screens, might prefer smaller icons to squeeze more in, while people working with templates on a larger screen might appreciate a larger preview of the content.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I believe the reason for the icons being as large as they are is to support templates, which may display a preview

Nevertheless, as you mention, there is no need (and imho no use) to show these large amount of presets as icon view at all. Yes, templates are a different pair of shoes, as Recent files, too.

Whereas "Recent documents", appearing in the "File" > "New.." window actually should generate new documents with the properties of a recent file – but without its content. At the moment these "Recent documents" in "New..." rather belong to "File" > "Open..." than to "New..." cause they don't generate anything 'new' at all.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

and it may be the intention that there could be a larger number of templates to scroll through at some point.

I don't understand this thought. Especially a longer preset list wouldn't give more info in icon view style but need more screen space. The icons are rectangles only, in either portrait or landscape orientation. Their dimension info is quite tiny, and they don't give color, margin or bleed info. So you need to check the property area anyway.

That way it would be more informative + comfortable to enlarge the properties + values area (currently on the right) and reduce the icon view to a (collapsable) template area only. Finally recent documents should neither not appear here or should get treated as empty templates if mentioned in "New...".

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

icons are rectangles only

This may be true for presets, but not for templates.  Templates show the picture of a page.

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

show these large amount of presets as icon view at all. Yes, templates are a different pair of shoes

But they are in the same view.  It would be strange to show the templates as icons and the presets in a list within the same view.  If they were separated that might be a different story.

50 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Templates show the picture of a page

They do, but they only show the centre of the page if it is portrait orientation, its ok so far for the couple I have set up so far but it would be better if they could be dynamic and show both orientations

2 hours ago, fde101 said:
3 hours ago, thomaso said:

icons are rectangles only

This may be true for presets, but not for templates.  Templates show the picture of a page.

This thread is about "Presets" in particular – NOT about templates.

Just now, fde101 said:

cannot be considered for one in isolation of the other.

Of cause it can. It's just a matter of layout, design, navigation etc., in short: of consequences. It even is possible to treat presets totally different and separated from templates.

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

It even is possible to treat presets totally different and separated from templates.

Sure it is... if they are not listed together, but the window puts both of them in the same list.  It would not come across very well if one of them used big icons and the other one had a simple list when both of them are in the same list.

You also suggested making the list narrower to make more room for the settings on the right, but if the templates continue to be shown as icons, you will wind up with very little space to show the templates in a narrowed list - again, not a problem if they are not listed together, but Serif opted to include both in the list at the same time.

23 hours ago, fde101 said:

It would not come across very well if one of them used big icons and the other one had a simple list when both of them are in the same list. (...) Serif opted to include both in the list

At this moment of this new "New..." window (1st occurrence at all, not finalized yet * ) I see a lot more reason NOT to limit thoughts, fantasy and feedback in a way as it will be useful in a later beta or especially in a retail version.

* In particular the occurrence of "Recent documents" in this "New..." window and the layout of only two columns for landscape icons (+ free wasted space) makes me feel of this current window version to be an idea, a trial, a test.

• 2 weeks later...

v523. – I wonder about the Photo presets:
• Will there be more ratios, e.g. 1:1,  2:1,  16:9,  16:10 ?
• Will it be possible to lock page X/Y dimensions to enable the use of a particular preset with its ratio but in different dimensions?

2143537800_presetPhotoratiolock.jpg.1d125008405f596d526f717933e41114.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Now 1.8 has been released please post in the suggestions forum anything from this thread that is not implemented as you wish

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon