You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.0.514 develop lens selector not working for manual lens

First of all, thanks for including the lens selector option in the develop persona. I really appreciate this tool and also like that you consider customer suggestions (not self-evident for every software company). However, I don't get the correct functionality for manual lenses like the Samyang 12mm f/2.0:

When I load my image, I can select the lens but no corrections are performed and there appears a yellow sign in the dialog box. Updating the settings does not lead to any action, as well.

Affinity.thumb.jpg.086e8226645076c7c39a42247753e980.jpg

I also included the name of the lens via exif-tool but this has no effect either.

Affinity_Exif.thumb.jpg.ab806fc918b47347e87be27f8a7ed145.jpg

I have attached the raw files that I used (...-Exif is the one with the lens added by exif-tool)

DSC08540.ARW

DSC08540-Exif.ARW

• Staff

Hi @larsbre,

For the lens correction to work, we would need a couple more arguments, not just -LensModel. 

exiftool -Lens="Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS" -LensModel="Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS" -ApertureValue="2.0" -FNumber="2.0" -FocalLength="12" FILENAME 

This should work on that specific Lens. I will pop an improvement in and see if we can work around this "issue" with manual lenses. 

However, modifying metadata can be dangerous/destructive (and we take no responsibility for the use of exiftool!)

58 minutes ago, Gabe said:

For the lens correction to work, we would need a couple more arguments, not just -LensModel. 

I can see how that added information would be needed for automatic detection/selection of the lens by Photo, Gabe.

But shouldn't the user's manual selection of the lens from the list work no matter what the image EXIF data says?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can see how that added information would be needed for automatic detection/selection of the lens by Photo, Gabe.

But shouldn't the user's manual selection of the lens from the list work no matter what the image EXIF data says?

After determining the lens profile to use (be that automatically, or by manual selection), the resulting correction information still needs adjusting to account for focal length & aperture being different to when the correction data was generated.

Unfortunately, many fixed-focal-length lenses don't report that focal length to the camera, so the information is not in the image metadata. In those specific cases we can actually take it from the name of the lens instead, which we'll start doing in a future build (thanks for the report, @larsbre!).

A more general solution to missing metadata (e.g. when using a non-electronic zoom lens) would require sliders or similar in the Lens Correction panel.

15 minutes ago, Tom Lachecki said:

After determining the lens profile to use (be that automatically, or by manual selection), the resulting correction information still needs adjusting to account for focal length & aperture being different to when the correction data was generated.

Thanks, Tom. That helps explain some aspects that weren't obvious to me.

Also, a somewhat belated "welcome to the Serif Affinity forums" :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree with the comments above, the selector should give me full control in case of manual selection. Maybe for the automatic detection more data is required, but manual settings have to be independent from exif. I just used exiftool to give you some information to work with. Nevertheless, it seems to make progress. Good job guys, thank you for taking care!

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.