Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Poor performance on Windows


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
14 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

@Lee D can you please test this file on

(a) any M1 Mac

(b) on Windows 10, any Ryzen CPU, any Nvidia GPU. Both Photo and Designer become totally frozen for about 5 Minutes, whereas the Mac reacts more graceful to user input.

The difference between both platforms is so striking - hope this could give some insight where the performance breaks under windows.

For me it seems like single-threaded operation despite 15 of 16 cpu cores idling. On Mac, more cores get utilised (270% M1 vs. 8-12% Win)

@NotMyFaultCan you give me some idea of the workflow to show the performance issues. So far I've come across render/redraw issues but they only last a few seconds, nothing close to 5 minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I confirm the same issue. The file Design (2) tested on 3 devices:

  1. M1 Mac: takes some seconds to start, the ok when zooming / panning
  2. iPad Pro 2018 10.5 inch: Slow, lags severely behind to draw screen, rendering issues
  3. Windows 10 PC:
    totally unusable. Designer fully utilizes 1 of 16 cores for several minutes. During that startup time, it is unusable / unresponsive to any input.
    Designer complaints about missing fonts. 
    After waiting that time, Designer is usable (panning / zooming).

 M1 Benchmark:

505153680_Screenshot2022-03-01at20_45.52beta1_10.5.png.5c27fe4295412b001a03de89117bf514.png

 

Windows Benchmark (GTX1080, 8+8 core Ryzen, 32 GB Ram):

1360410384_Beta1_10.5.PNG.5e603dc0484dd87210981e7ba8598ec9.PNG
IPad

B0E7FCE8-32D2-446C-8780-1414221C2CF2.thumb.png.a427db70c6fb6a89c57dce86e0f83cda.png

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

So you think the issue is related to Windows? And on Mac you have absolutely no issue ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lee D said:

@NotMyFaultCan you give me some idea of the workflow to show the performance issues. So far I've come across render/redraw issues but they only last a few seconds, nothing close to 5 minutes.

Hi Lee

just opening the file in Designer leads to several minutes of high CPU utilization. On all platforms (Mac. Win. IPad). 
After about 3 to 5 minutes utilization goes down. During the first minutes Mac shows tolerable degree of performance. Windows shows Designer frozen / no reaction to any user input (maybe zoom change 30 sec after input)

During this time it is impossible to work with Designer on Windows.    Other Apps could be used. Only Designer is kind of unresponsive.

On Mac Designer is slower than usual  but still usable  

 

 

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hellodesigners said:

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

So you think the issue is related to Windows? And on Mac you have absolutely no issue ?

 

Mac get a performance hit, but stays usable. Win is unusable for about 5 minutes after opening. After waiting it is usable. 

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hey there, 

New member. I just recently built a PC rig, adding to my Apple M1 lineup. I've used Affinity Designer and Photo for about a year on the M1 and ended up getting frustrated with the M1's performance, or lack there of. I didn't set out to build the PC to run Affinity but I wanted that option.

Spec:

Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core

128GB of DDR4 RAM

2TB M.2 SSD

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GPU

So far, it runs like garbage. Any load put on the software slows everything down, nothing is smooth. I've adjusted every setting (which, honestly, is pretty lacking) under the performance tab in Designer. No luck. I was really hoping to find a solution. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i made a similar journey the other way round. Despite better GPU spec the Windows PC is slower for work with Affinity apps.

Some hints to get best from your system:

  • Affinity does not support more than 64 GB RAM. As you have 128, set Designer RAM to its max.
  • use the latest studio drivers for GPU (not the game ready ones). Carefully check if performance changes after driver updates, some are broken. Then revert to older version.
  • Affinity apps run on single CPU cores for many time consuming operations like file read / write. In this situations all your other cores are not utilized. A CPU with the highest single core power suits you better than more cores.
  • For other operations like rendering of canvas, all cores could get utilized. Windows becomes then laggy, all user input from mouse keyboard may get queued. Mac handle this much better.
  • Designer depends more on CPU as on GPU when doing vector work, or using CMYK.

In general, the M1 architecture has an edge over x86 In principle for use with Affinity apps. 

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi.@FRNKSTN

Please navigate in the Affinity programm to Preferences.  Under Performance deactivate Hardware acceleration.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Sapphire RX 5600 XT 6 GB | Windows 11 Pro 2022 Update (22621.819)
Affinity Suite V2.0.0
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
SVG preview in Windows Explorer with "SVG-See  Download SVG-See

Yesterday we were on the precipice. Today we are one step further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

i made a similar journey the other way round. Despite better GPU spec the Windows PC is slower for work with Affinity apps.

Some hints to get best from your system:

  • Affinity does not support more than 64 GB RAM. As you have 128, set Designer RAM to its max.
  • use the latest studio drivers for GPU (not the game ready ones). Carefully check if performance changes after driver updates, some are broken. Then revert to older version.
  • Affinity apps run on single CPU cores for many time consuming operations like file read / write. In this situations all your other cores are not utilized. A CPU with the highest single core power suits you better than more cores.
  • For other operations like rendering of canvas, all cores could get utilized. Windows becomes then laggy, all user input from mouse keyboard may get queued. Mac handle this much better.
  • Designer depends more on CPU as on GPU when doing vector work, or using CMYK.

In general, the M1 architecture has an edge over x86 In principle for use with Affinity apps. 

Thank you for the information! it's greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.