You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: Arrange pages for saddle-stitch printing

I'm considering Affinity Publisher to replace my aging (pre-subscription) InDesign software. However, for booklet printing it would be very helpful to be able to have a "saddle-stitch" printing option, like InDesign has, where the software would automatically arrange the pages for printing in that format. So, for example, the first and last pages would print to the same sheet, as would the second and second-to-last pages, etc. Thank you.

Hi @EricAP, welcome to the forums!

This feature is already available in the standard Print dialog within Publisher, though you do need to make sure the document has an even multiple of 4 pages.  Set the "Model" to "Booklet" within the print dialog; this can be found in the "Document Layout" category in the print dialog on the Mac, or under "Layout" on Windows.

Thank you! When I asked this question to @affinitybyserif on Twitter, he or she said "Unfortunately Affinity Publisher doesn't currently support this, I recommend making a suggestion post on our forums for our devs to see and consider." I'm glad to hear it's already there.

2 minutes ago, EricAP said:

When I asked this question to @affinitybyserif on Twitter, he or she said "Unfortunately Affinity Publisher doesn't currently support this

Hmm, that's interesting.

To be clear, this is supported when printing directly, or when using the OS-provided "save as PDF" feature on the Mac (or a PDF printer on Windows).

It is not currently offered for a professional print-ready PDF, though that has been requested several times.

I wonder if that is what they were thinking of?

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

Hi @EricAP, welcome to the forums!

This feature is already available in the standard Print dialog within Publisher, though you do need to make sure the document has an even multiple of 4 pages.  Set the "Model" to "Booklet" within the print dialog; this can be found in the "Document Layout" category in the print dialog on the Mac, or under "Layout" on Windows.

I am pretty sure this is dependant on the printer's drivers. Not all people will have this capability.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am pretty sure this is dependant on the printer's drivers. Not all people will have this capability.

No, this is a feature of the application, though some printers do have this feature built-in to their drivers as well.