You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to Jpeg creates artefacts

Hello,

I have a problem working with a photo.

I developed it from RAW, created different layers mainly for Brightness & blurring.

When I see it in affinity it is ok, when I export to Jpeg colored squares appears in the photo.

NEF Raw from D850, Tried to upload jpeg but failed, can mail jpeg and AFF file if necessary .

Anyone can help?

Thx 

• Staff

Hi Dreamy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
JPG may creates some artefacts depending on the compression level/image type but i suspect you are referring to something else entirely  Do you mind uploading both the Affinity Photo file and the exported JPG for us to check please? Here's a link to upload them directly to us. Thanks.

As there are no images of the problem in this thread I wonder if the artefacts in user Dreamy’s exported image are similar to those that were experienced by this user when they were exporting?: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91834-pixelations-in-photos-after-export-help-please/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Dreamy,
Yes, but i wasn't yet able to replicate the output you are getting. I'm assuming you are using the default JPG export settings: JPEG (Best quality) and running Microsoft Windows. Can you confirm this please?

Hello,

I am running Affinity on a MacBook Pro mid 2015, IOS 10.15.1, exporting Jpeg Best Quality. Same problems happens exporting to Tiff 16 bit, Tiff 8 bit and Jpeg medium quality. Colored squares do not appear exporting to PDF file.

Hope this might be useful

A.

16 hours ago, markw said:

As there are no images of the problem in this thread I wonder if the artefacts in user Dreamy’s exported image are similar to those that were experienced by this user when they were exporting?: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91834-pixelations-in-photos-after-export-help-please/

Thank you for pointing it out.

Both are running on Macs with exactly the same configuration, same age, CPU, RAM and Graphic Card. May be is there something related to this configuration and the layers we both have been using?

Schermata 2019-12-10 alle 08.54.33.png

These artefacts are called NaN pixels (Not a Number) they were recently mentioned by Carl123 in this post: 

These NaN pixels are not editable like normal pixels, until the reason for the production of these NaN pixels can be worked out, I would reluctantly suggest using an alternative RAW editor like Rawtherapee in part as a comparison of conversion to JPEG.

Another option is to change the RAW engine used in Affinity Photos Develop Persona to see if you get the artefacts using the exact same process.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I did some testing, to help in finding the issue.

I exported one Jpeg for each layer that I added in my work flow; In total I added 5 layers on top of the background (Pixel layer)

To explain:  I exported a Jpeg with only pixel layer, then a jpeg with pixel layer and first layer added, than pixel layer and two layers, and so on

Artifacts appears when adding the gaussian blur level, no artifact until the second layer.

Schermata 2019-12-10 alle 09.17.37.png

Have you tried editing the gaussian blur and from (0 px) incrementally raise it to see if and when the NaN's appear, or does the mere presence of the gaussian blur layer cause the NaNs?

Out of curiosity have you tried an alternative blur filter or is it just gaussian blur that triggers the NaNs

Also, have you tried replacing the Gaussian blur filter with any other non blurring filter to see if the NaNs are triggered.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 12/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, firstdefence said:

Have you tried editing the gaussian blur and from (0 px) incrementally raise it to see if and when the NaN's appear, or does the mere presence of the gaussian blur layer cause the NaNs?

Out of curiosity have you tried an alternative blur filter or is it just gaussian blur that triggers the NaNs

Also, have you tried replacing the Gaussian blur filter with any other non blurring filter to see if the NaNs are triggered.

Edited the gaussian Blur from 0 to 9:

- From 0 pixel to 0,9 pixel no Nans

- From 1 Pixel up NaNs are always there

Did try with motion filter. I am at the very beginning of affinity learning curve (as well as of any similar software) so I do not exactly how motion blur works. 

Any way: when I apply motion blur layer, NaNs appear also in affinity and they remain, even if differently, in Jpeg exported version.

1551750446_ScreenshotJpeg.thumb.png.ce3d53d636bc5311a3da14298910eef3.png

Screenshot affinity.png

Edited by Dreamy