You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Your Affinity 2020 wishlist

I'm a 360 photographer since May 2015.  Some tools that would be very helpful to me:

1. "View... New Views": Please save the equirectangular projection for each view.  This will let me switch quickly between equirectangular view and normal view.  And I want both views to be updated in realtime.

2. Please add a tool like Lightroom's radial gradient.  I don't want to have to create masks.  

3. Please simplify the luminosity masking.  I would like it to work like lightroom:

- I turn on the option for luminosity mask / range mask

- I use a dropper to click on the shade I want to affect

- I adjust the left and right edge of the range using a slider.

4. One issue when making changes to the edge of a 360 photo is that it can create a seam.  I wish that if I toggle a "360 photo switch," then any changes to one edge would flow to the other edge as well, as though the left edge had a door to the right edge and vice-versa.  For example if I brush across the left edge of the 360 photo, I want the brush to continue to the right edge of the photo.  This is a unique feature that isn't available on other editors. 

Also, if this 360 photo switch option is activated, filters should not stop at the edge, in order to avoid a seam in the 360 photo.  This is already implemented in the current version to some extent, although occasionally some changes create seams.

5. I wish to be able to use the hand tool to rotate the equirectangular image (with no equirectangular projection).  Here's a video that demonstrates what i mean: 

Improve the "Deselect all layers but one" functionality ... Currently you have to select all layers and deselect them to keep seeing just one layer. Photoshop solves that a lot more easy and elegant by holding the ALT-Key and selecting the layer you want to see.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

11 hours ago, kirkt said:

@Peter Heinrichs - you can type a value in the radius input field that is greater than the slider maximum.  This is true of a lot of sliders with an input field.

Kirk

Ohhh, these hidden secret features ;-) .... The Affinity magical mystery tour ... 

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

• Staff
11 hours ago, kirkt said:

you can type a value in the radius input field that is greater than the slider maximum.  This is true of a lot of sliders with an input field

It keeps the slider having a useful smaller range and therefore finer increments, without stopping other larger values being typed in.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 6/8/2020 at 8:02 PM, JoshMillsPhoto said:

Great Tip!  That does make it much easier and works much like the mixer brush in Photoshop for the low layer. Thank you!

So helpful, thanks!  I hadn't even thought of trying that, but it looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

In Affinity Photo: being able to sample patterns/colour with the mixer brush.
In Concept Art and Illustration this is a highly used feature and for me the only missing thing. The mixer brush works well for painting in a classical sense, like smudging. But if it would allow me to paint all those color differences easier that would be so great!

Like here: https://youtu.be/Vcz5Fh6Wcx4?t=451
or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWEPFWkqM68

I hope it can give me a way to make the HSL color box not change according to the change of saturation, which has a certain impact on my selection of hueimage.png.01b2e3f66c0b22508606e6481a009741.pngimage.png.a029cd73ba4f20c52967459288863997.png

Perspective tool I hope to add the function of mirror transformation, such as selecting an edge, making the endpoint shrink inward at the same time, and adding the function of dragging anchor points to deform

image.png.c9c5f382ff6c1c10c57e6dffa7bef15c.png

thanks

It would be nice if basic windows functionalty (zooming/panning) could be kept alive while a modal dialog is open. Example: You select "sharpen>unsharp mask" and would like to increase the zoom factor to see more details. The dialog prevents this so you have to close the dialog again, change the zoom factor and select the filter comamnd again.
Cheers, TImo

2 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

It would be nice if basic windows functionalty (zooming/panning) could be kept alive while a modal dialog is open.

You can do this, if you use the scroll wheel for zooming / panning.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

15 hours ago, DarkClown said:

It would be nice if basic windows functionalty (zooming/panning) could be kept alive while a modal dialog is open. Example: You select "sharpen>unsharp mask" and would like to increase the zoom factor to see more details. The dialog prevents this so you have to close the dialog again, change the zoom factor and select the filter comamnd again.
Cheers, TImo

Wait a minute. I just tried this using the Filters>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask and it does not seem to be modal. I can still change to any pallet, I can click the +/- in the Navigator panel, I can [CTRL] [+/-], and I can [CTRL] [scroll wheel] to zoom in or out.

OK, I re-checked again and it seems the functionality is not always available. I'm still trying to reproduce the circumstances where it doesn't or does work. So maybe this topic is more related to "bug" instead of "wanted features".

I'm a media professional and willing to change to AP. I like your concept very well.

I took a look at the demo and here are (for me) some crucial enhancements to be made:

1. The ability to scan directly into photo under windows.

2. An easy way of drag'n'drop files/layers into a new document with auto-center.

3. Keyboard shortcuts for macros

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Auto Center function after dragging bitmaps into the document.

I drag and drop about 500 times a week a bitmap into my document (photo and publisher). I photoshop a dropped bitmap is centered automatically. In Affinity I have to click three times for each bitmap.

That makes 1500 clicks more in one week than I have in PS. This feature is even implemented in the PS versions, that are 12 years old! This unneccessairy clicking isn't healthy. Most wanted is center. But perfect would be if there was a place to adjust the following auto fuctions for dropped bitmaps:

1. Center

2. upper left corner

3. resize bitmap until height or with fits

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, loukash said:

Stop adding features for a moment and fix the bugs instead!

2021 and I back this! The suite is packed full of features but unfortunately with new features come new bugs. Bug fix and UI/UX improvements should take precedence

IPTC Needed.

Have just discovered Affinity Photo having used PagePlus years ago and trying the trial version. Now looking at replacing Photoshop but can't find how to add and edit IPTC information in Affinity Photo. This seems to have come up in the past and maybe now available, but I can't find it.

Their is good open source EXIF processors which Serif could build into Affinity. Any chance this will be done? This handles, both reading and writing, metadata from cameras as well as the ability to fill in the complete IPTC information. ExifTool by Phil Harvey

1 hour ago, ChasUK said:

how to add and edit IPTC information in Affinity Photo

View > Studio > Metadata

Edited by loukash

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Isn't this 2020 Wishlist, (started in December 2019), a bit redundant/confusing now that we are 3 months into 2021

A lot of the stuff in it has already been implemented

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

First let me say Affinity Photo has been a big help. I've been using photo editing software since photoshop 3 (20+ years) and while there are some idiosyncrasies to get over with Affinity photo, the product is a good fit for me.

Now for the request
I imagine 99% of people using photo editing software innevitably export their files in some format other than the native .afphoto format and yet the action to export the files is both burried in a complex set of hotkeys and way down the file menu. So, why can't you make life easier and more efficient for everyone by removing export all together? All you need to do is change the save dialog screen to be more like the export screen and have the default tab be the native file format. This would be a tremendous speed up, especially when half the time I've opened a png file, added a layer and now can't remember if im supposed to click "Save" or "Export" just to get back to my edited PNG.

I work with affinity a few month now and I must say, I love the export dialog. It is perfect for me, you can see all possible export extensions with symbols and using the shortcut it is also easy to access, too. For the native or export file format: You get used to it and don't need to think about it, after you work a while with affinity. Ok, the shortcut is a bit complicated, but I got used to it, too. You can change the shortcut under "edit" ==> "preferences" to something easier. In generell: coming from photoshop there are a few things that work in other ways than in PS. But in many cases it works better and easier after getting used to it.

13 hours ago, jmudglove said:

I 100% agree. I guess they want to make us more likely to use AFPhoto format so that... Well, I don't know!

I imagine 99% of people using photo editing software innevitably export their files in some format other than the native .afphoto format and yet the action to export the files is both burried in a complex set of hotkeys and way down the file menu. So, why can't you make life easier and more efficient for everyone by removing export all together? All you need to do is change the save dialog screen to be more like the export screen and have the default tab be the native file format. This would be a tremendous speed up, especially when half the time I've opened a png file, added a layer and now can't remember if im supposed to click "Save" or "Export" just to get back to my edited PNG.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com