You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Your Affinity 2020 wishlist

1. ALL programs: Ability to right click on a layer and create an embedded object. That would allow the editing of that object directly within the layer panel. Currently the only way to do this is to copy the layers, open Designer or Photo and then paste the layers, save the file and place the file as a linked or embedded object (!). It would be great to have all this automated.

2. Designer - vector perspective warp!

3. Publisher: Variable fonts. I currently have to go to Illustrator and use the variable fonts, convert to curves, save as an AI file and place within Publisher. Seriously, no. Would love to just use variable fonts directly. That would be amazing. There are so many high level variable fonts that I can't use and wish I could. They would help my designs. Less important but still interesting are color fonts, but much prefer to should loudly for variable fonts.

4. Publisher: custom bullets, as in vector objects that I can create and size within paragraph styles. I create my own bullets now this way but it's so time consuming as a custom design.

5. Designer: short cut key to toggle transparency back and forth. Or perhaps a button.

6. Publisher: sort fonts in a family by weight or width. Also in the family list ability to collapse (if not side, at least group and collapse) system fonts so that I can see only the designer fonts that I've installed. It take so much time to go through the list of system fonts that I will never select.

20 minutes ago, abarkalo said:

5. Designer: short cut key to toggle transparency back and forth. Or perhaps a button.

I mean it's not really a hotkey, but you can press " 0 " twice to set the selected layer's opacity to 0%. You can then press " 1 0 0 "  to set it back to 100. Maybe there should be a hotkey though, idk. 

Just some additional info for those who use Photo. This behavior is slightly different in Affinity Photo (which is the Affinity product I use most). Using the numpad will normally set opacity of the selected tool. So if you're using stamp or brush you'll change the tool's opacity, not the layer's. You need to make sure you have a tool selected that doesn't have an opacity setting. So just press "v" first to pull up move tool. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Grilo said:

Canvas rotation  like the crop tool, but constant 

In Affinity terms, I belive that is View rotation, not Canvas rotation.

On a Mac with a trackpad you can already do what your video shows. On Windows, you are limited to rotation in 15 degree increments via the View menu or an assigned shortcut key for View > Rotate > Left (or Right).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, HuniSenpai said:

I mean it's not really a hotkey, but you can press " 0 " twice to set the selected layer's opacity to 0%. You can then press " 1 0 0 "  to set it back to 100. Maybe there should be a hotkey though, idk. 

no it's not about opacity - I use those numbers all the time. It's the transparency grid toggle, as in Shift-CMD-D in Illustrator.

Isn't it about time this thread was closed. It seems to be a repository of many requests, most of which should have been posted as separate threads. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I am a photography centric user, but still use all of the Affinity tools.

I ditched Adobe some time ago and switched to Affinity and Capture One Pro.

From my perspective two additional affinity tools desperately need to be added to the product portfolio.

1.  A DAM (Affinity Asset), I have about 2TB of digital content (very small by professional standards, but is still 10s of thousands of files) and managing this content is a complete nightmare.

2.  A Develop tool (Affinity Develop) such as Lightroom or Capture One Pro (or one of the other much lessor competitors).

With a proper DAM and some fairly dramatic updates to Photo then a stand alone C1P style Develop tool might not be necessary.

I love my Affinity tools but they are certainly in desperate need of a product line expansion.

Edit:  I am not made of money, but I would ditch C1P (and I love C1P) in favor of Affinity Develop in a heart beat, even quicker if they have a reasonable C1P catalog import tool...

Additionally I would purchase Affinity Asset in a heartbeat

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

Hi KC Honie.

Regarding your second point - Do you know there is an actual "Develop Persona" in Affinity Photo (it's located at the top left).

Please excuse me if you already knew this, but due to your point 2, I thought I would point it out :)

Hope this helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

On 5/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, Richard S. said:

Hi KC Honie.

Regarding your second point - Do you know there is an actual "Develop Persona" in Affinity Photo (it's located at the top left).

Please excuse me if you already knew this, but due to your point 2, I thought I would point it out :)

Hope this helps.

Of course, I use it all of the time.  But what I am referring to is a develop tool such as LR or C1P with catalogs of 100s or 1000s of images in each catalog ( I prefer to have more catalogs and fewer images per catalog, I try to limit the catalogs to a few thousand images).  These images are shown in thumbnail (choose your location where to display them) and you can instantly choose which image or group of images to develop.  I did a recent wildlife shoot with abut 500 total images (properly socially distanced) and had a spec of dust on my sensor (my bad).  After I culled the images I was able to remove the dust spec on all of the 200+ remaining images at once.

In AP I have to do that with each and every individual image.  That is the reason develop tools like LR and C1P exist.  

Just like Photoshop, Affinity Photo was not designed to be a develop tool for production photographers.  It is fantastic when you need to do a deep dive on an image or create composites, But it is not a production photography raw image develop tool.

For individual images, it can't be beat...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

Ahh, Ok, Your second point just mentioned a develop tool, so wasn't sure what exactly you were looking to do. Just thought I would try and help.

High-End Photographic Prints

I would like it in Photo/Designer/Publisher if I could save gradients in the layer effects (Gradient Overlay). I use gradients a lot in my work and it would be nice to have a unified gradient system similar to how Photoshop handles it. I would like to able to click on the gradient color and see past gradients I've created recently or saved. It's a minor thing, but it save me the trouble of recreating my gradient overlay every time.
It would also be nice if the gradient tool itself also had the ability to save/export/import gradients. And it would be nice if gradient maps had a similar way to save/load/export gradients.

So please allow unification of all three gradient systems (gradient overlay, gradient tool, gradient maps) and allow me to see easily see past gradients and export/import gradients.

It's minor but it would be nice. If there is currently a way to do this, it's not very apparent.

A tiny other idea, maybe if you get cloud support and asset management someday.. It would be cool if all three programs could somehow see all the same gradients like I could create something in design, and create a similar a style in photo using a gradient I created from design.

1 hour ago, JP. said:

Please support SA3 (Super A3 or A3+.) size paper in the new document dialog.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Just to make sure you know: you can use any size you want in the New Document dialog, by specifying the dimensions yourself. And once you do that, you can save your own Preset so it's easily available the next time you want a new document that size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In Photo:
The ability to resize document and resize Canvas as a percentage, so I can easily double, triple etc the size of the document.
The ability to removed the excess when I crop so when I increase the canvas size again, I don't have the excess visible that  I wanted to get rid of.
A perspective crop tool, so I can select the corners of say, a poster in a photo and it will straighten it out to a flat image that I can use as a texture in 3d work.