You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Your Affinity 2020 wishlist

On 4/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, TheFlow said:

I mean freely, not 90°. Sometimes, when drawing, all you want is to rotate your "piece of paper" a little bit, you know.

Yep, I also meant freely.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, walt.farrell said:

It's not "freely" (except on Mac with a trackpad)

I see. Well, I'm on a Mac with a trackpad.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:55 PM, walt.farrell said:

but View > Rotate Left (or Right) rotates the view of the canvas in 15 degree increments

Exactly. Just assign keyboard shortcuts and you're set even without a Mac trackpad.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

More focus on making the basics faster and easier for beginners!

e.g.:

• interactive/visual tolerance adjustment to some tools: finding the right tolerance/sensitivity is sometime very slow and annoying. E.g. adjusting in real time the flood select tolerance  and seeing the selection adjust (based on the previously selected point) would make life much easier!
  • larger icons in the toolbar!
  • background/foreground selection: this is by far the most common task for beginners and the most frustrating one. Having some kind of wizard (like focus selection from CC or the ML from remove.bg) would make life way easier!

• Export with signature/watermark. 
  • Keyboard shortcuts for macros. 
  • Fix "Macro recorder cannot record export item" bug at least so we can record a macro for watermarked photo export.
  • Revert keyboard shortcut like PS has. (F12 or whatever).
  • Batch RAW editing
  • Non-destructive RAW saving with .XMP file.

I used to edit my .cr2 files and save with an .xmp file, then batch export with my signature on them with PS. Super unconvinient to process 1500 photos with AP. Actually impossible! I cant believe this program doesent have .XMP sidecar save file ability. Seems like this app not for professional purposes. But it was looks like. It has some amazing features which PS even doesent have but no RAW edits saving. Unbelievable! Now i am going to apologize my friends from my native language forums who bought AP after my recommendation. I was so happy before i noticed this limitations of AP. Now i am so dissapointed and so upset. Now i must return to PS again! I am really so upset! :(

Edited by XaKaH

On 4/11/2020 at 10:08 AM, loukash said:

Yep, I also meant freely.

I see. Well, I'm on a Mac with a trackpad.

Exactly. Just assign keyboard shortcuts and you're set even without a Mac trackpad.

Woah! Made my day. Thank you!

On 4/12/2020 at 8:42 PM, pixelstuff said:

Change ruler units from any tool instead of just the View Tool [H].

If the rulers are showing, just right-click on the Units designation at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical rulers, and change the units to one of the other choices.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, altae said:

Proper support for luminosity masks. Blend ranges are nice but no real replacement as they cannot be altered manually whereas with luminosity masks I can always correct a certain area and brush something in or out.

Hi Altae,

This video 'Luminosity masks from layers' might be what you are looking for:
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/317427603/ 

On 4/7/2020 at 4:45 AM, Jowday said:

Photo: a total usability and workflow overhaul. More than any given feature.

I can totally second this. For digital painting in Photo a workflow overhaul would be very much appreciated. If it comes down to actions you frequently use its good to make them faster achiveable:

• quick rotate
  • quicker way for picking colors with eyedropper tool without extra clicking
  • straight lines with brush tool with a line preview
  • direct slider option for width, opacity, flow and hardness in the brush toolbar

For all affinity apps a UI scale slider would be very much appreciated for high dpi-displays and smaller screens like a surface pro for example.

I have posted an more extensive feedback from my work and my point of view with affinity photo for digital drawing in an extra thread:

5 hours ago, Sofa Gas Rue said:

Is that not what the HSL adjustment layer does?

From what I see - no. You can specify hue range of color you want to affect, but not saturation. There is a walk around for this - mask can be created based on saturation, but this is inconvenient at least. 

For example in Capture One (see attachment) you can define saturation range to edit. 

2020-04-15 20_59_24-Window.png

2020-04-15 22_44_02-Window.png

11 hours ago, Sofa Gas Rue said:

Is that not what the HSL adjustment layer does?

That is not what HSL adjustment layer does. 

HSL adjustment currently only lets you "mask" based on hue. That's what the big circular color wheel thing is for. That way you can change what was a blue hue into a red hue, for example, while the greens and yellows remain unchanged. HSL adjustment, ever since a version or two ago, is a "replace color" tool in addition to a tool you'd use to boost saturation, change hue of image overall, and change lightness.

All of this is lacking one major thing though: the target color selection currently only lets you target a specific hue range. I want to specify not only a certain target hue range, but also a target saturation range and a target luminosity range. This would allow me to increase the saturation of desaturated areas in my photograph, for instance. Or it could let me decrease the saturation in the dark, desaturated yellow regions and no where else.  

In other words, the color range selection in HSL only has one variable: hue. I agree with Zeel, we should add one or two more variables to this feature.

18 hours ago, Zeel said:

How about HSL adjustment that allows to control a saturation range as well, similar to advanced color tool in Capture one?

I really do agree with you. Both Capture One and Davinci Resolve have more control in their color range selection. I made a post on here about a year ago asking a similar thing as you, I just recommended Resolve's instead of Capture One's (I haven't used the latter). Both are similar, though. 

I'm thinking Photo should mix both Resolve and Capture One. They could use the same color wheel graphic as Capture One with the distance from the center of the circle representing saturation, and they allow selection of lightness ranges in a slider-like-thing, just like the sliders in Resolve that let you change selected ranges, change their feather, etc.

And instead of having these colorful dots:

image.png.9551cd980e5fb43536d5747cf2ecef9c.png

Affinity Photo should use a feed to show the list of changes done within the HSL adjustment, like Capture One: 

image.png.8915288ef75693e92cd9c49b130a97ff.png

A selection/masking tool based on Resolve's Qualifier panel would indeed be most welcome, as I have indicated before:

image.png.46317c1f2d4d19af2aa85ce9f3a4bb14.png

Indicate a range and low/high taper for each of hue, saturation, and luma (or alternatively of red, green and blue), along with options to "finesse" the resulting mask (plug holes, etc.) - Resolve really does have the best tool set I have encountered to date for working with color.

An adjustment with a set of color wheels would be a nice addition too at some point, but a selection tool based on Qualifiers would make many types of selections SO much easier...

On 4/14/2020 at 7:45 AM, walt.farrell said:

If the rulers are showing, just right-click on the Units designation at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical rulers, and change the units to one of the other choices.

Nice. I did not know they had hidden that there.  Now if we could drop a guide from any tool as well. Or at least from the selection tools.

1 hour ago, pixelstuff said:

if we could drop a guide from any tool as well

At one time it was possible to adjust guides from any tool, but they intentionally changed it to be from the move tool only if adjusting them on the canvas.

However, you can still drag them out from the rulers and adjust them on the rulers while using several different tools, thought not all of them in Photo (which is rather curious to me...).

There needs to be a non-destructive live filter for the deform filter. There already are a few distortion filter as live filter version, but the deform filter is really hard to get right on the first time when you're using many pins. When something is hard to get right on the first time it needs to be non-destructive. Also, I think it's the most versatile distortion filter and the one which gives you actually the most practical use in compositings when you want to bend an object into its place. Meanwhile, there are live filter versions of something like waves, where I really don't know when you actually need this.

It also would be nice to be able to convert a layer into an embedded document without having to save it as a new file. Photoshop can already do this. You can just right-click a layer and convert it into a smart object.

Hi,

I'd like to have a Lightroom like program from Affinity. 

It would be nice if the Affinity Lightroom to come could read the tags I gave my photos in Ligtroom. Also the would be nice if the work done  in Lightroom is read in the Affinity Lightroom to come. And finally, I'm a fan the way the Lighroom catalog works. 

I know there are other lightroom like programs, but don't like how they push me in the way I have to catalog my photos. Furthermore I just want an other Affinity application. 

Regards,

Rob.

1) Ability to import swatches in Affinity Photo for iPad

2) Case-Insensitive library search in Affinity Photo for Desktop

3) Automatic popup asking for name of category when creating a new brush category - as opposed to it automatically being called brush, thus making the user go back into the options just to name it in Affinity Photo for Desktop

4) Bigger swatch previews in the swatch palette in Affinity Photo for Desktop

5) LUT previewer in Affinity Photo for Desktop and iPad

High-End Photographic Prints