You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Your Affinity 2020 wishlist

Three of my wishes have to do with color picking:

1. I wish the hexadecimal value was always visible in the color picking panel. I have to change to RGB hex every time I want to enter in an exact number. There's no reason why there can't be a hexadecimal field for every panel, except for perhaps the grayscale one.
  2. Also, you should add and option for HSV for artists. I personally don't do a lot of digital painting, but I know that the HSV triangular color picker is much preferred over HSL for those doing digital painting. It allows you to easily change the apparent lightness or darkness of a color without messing with the apparent saturation. Here's a video highlighting my point... notice how, in order to maintain the perceived saturation, you have to curve the HSL color picker in a really strange way, which is not easy to do: 

3. This reminds me, you should be able to hold alt while in the color chooser window to color pick from the image. I always have to move my mouse over to the color picker icon and click and drag. You can see just how annoying and slow that is in the video. Worse yet, I have to click on the color picker icon to actually go through with it! While in the color picking menu, I should be able to just hold alt while aiming at my image, and then I just left mouse click.

Paint Mixer Brush:

I do a lot of composite work and I would love to use the paint mixer brush for blending textures. But without the feature of an "automatic clean" after every stroke it is still unusable for this kind of work.

5 hours ago, TimoF said:

Paint Mixer Brush:

I do a lot of composite work and I would love to use the paint mixer brush for blending textures. But without the feature of an "automatic clean" after every stroke it is still unusable for this kind of work.

Just to make sure you know, you can press C to clean the brush. Not automatic, but perhaps better than having to click the button on the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:25 PM, HuniSenpai said:

Three of my wishes have to do with color picking:

1. I wish the hexadecimal value was always visible in the color picking panel. I have to change to RGB hex every time I want to enter in an exact number. There's no reason why there can't be a hexadecimal field for every panel, except for perhaps the grayscale one.
  2. Also, you should add and option for HSV for artists. I personally don't do a lot of digital painting, but I know that the HSV triangular color picker is much preferred over HSL for those doing digital painting. It allows you to easily change the apparent lightness or darkness of a color without messing with the apparent saturation. Here's a video highlighting my point... notice how, in order to maintain the perceived saturation, you have to curve the HSL color picker in a really strange way, which is not easy to do: 

3. This reminds me, you should be able to hold alt while in the color chooser window to color pick from the image. I always have to move my mouse over to the color picker icon and click and drag. You can see just how annoying and slow that is in the video. Worse yet, I have to click on the color picker icon to actually go through with it! While in the color picking menu, I should be able to just hold alt while aiming at my image, and then I just left mouse click.

The Colour panel already has a triangular HSV colour wheel. Just click the small icon next to the X mark on the upper right and choose "Wheel".

26 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The Colour panel already has a triangular HSV colour wheel. Just click the small icon next to the X mark on the upper right and choose "Wheel".

That's an HSL wheel. HSV is similar in some ways, but different.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to make sure you know, you can press C to clean the brush. Not automatic, but perhaps better than having to click the button on the Context Toolbar.

Hi Walt.

I know that I can press C, but when you make a composite you will make a ton of strokes. This will reduce my speed a lot, especially when you're on a Mircosoft Surface with a pen ;)

I'm a new user and struggling to remember where things are and what they do. The tiny icons do not convey much to me, although I'm beginning to remember some of them.

I use the tool-tips (hope that's the right term) a lot but they appear to the bottom right of the icon, just where the mouse pointer is. That means you must move the pointer to the side to see what's written underneath and sometimes the text disappears because the pointer has moved off the sensing area. My request would be to put the tool-tip explanations above the icons, so that they are not obscured by the pointer. Even nicer: reveal all such information with the press of a key so that a feature can be found more quickly, without having to hunt and reveal each one individually. (Hope that makes sense.)

16" MacBookPro Catalina, Affinity Photo 1.8

• 4 weeks later...

All with drawing and painting in Affinity Photo in mind:

- Canvas rotation
- faster Color picker. It has a little lag and the "zoom lens" effect could be swapped out for 2 swatches. The current selected color and the one I'm picking right now.
- A popup color selector (Press hotkey when painting, the color wheel/color. Would be great if we didn't need to go to the color settings all the time, can potentially save lots of time while painting
- easy brush switching with hotkeys instead of needing to click them in the menu all the time. If I need 3 brushes it is simpler to have them in a list and switch them back and forth. Alternatively, a brush toggle between the last two selected brushes. One key toggle back and forth.
- more options in the brush editor for the textures. Like contrast, brightness, blend modes. And curves for the depth of the canvas. Press light - little "scratching" on the surface, press hard to push the pigment deeper into the canvas.

On 2/22/2020 at 3:55 AM, JOHN REED said:

You NEED to put "content awhere" in your program urgently.

You mean content aware? Affinity Photo already has that -- it's called inpainting, though.

Here's an Affinity Photo tutorial on inpainting brush: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/297061442/

If you want to do a content aware fill, then

1. Select what you want to fill (using marquee tools or lasso tools, for example)
  2. Press shift + F5 and select inpainting. Press "ok" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 10:06 AM, TheFlow said:

- Canvas rotation

That's been in there from the very start, as far as I can tell.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 4/3/2020 at 5:35 PM, loukash said:

That's been in there from the very start, as far as I can tell.

I mean freely, not 90°. Sometimes, when drawing, all you want is to rotate your "piece of paper" a little bit, you know. :)

5 minutes ago, TheFlow said:

I mean freely, not 90°. Sometimes, when drawing, all you want is to rotate your "piece of paper" a little bit, you know. :)

It's not "freely" (except on Mac with a trackpad) but View > Rotate Left (or Right) rotates the view of the canvas in 15 degree increments. It sounds like you're using Document > Rotate ... which actually rotates (changes) the Document (in 90 degree increments), not the View of the Canvas.

-- Walt
PC:

Photo: a total usability and workflow overhaul. More than any given feature.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.