You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Your Affinity 2020 wishlist

My most wanted feature is the ability to fully utilise the Special 8 blend modes, currently the only option we have is the layer opacity, we need the layer fill mode. I know that in the FX panel there is a Fill Opacity but this does not work the same way, it affects the layer opacity but leaves effects such as 3d visible. This works nicely for things like transparent text effects.

Something I spend far too much time trying to perfect are Masks... we really need the ability to use things such as dodge & burn directly on the mask.

The ability to set white, grey & black points on the curves adjustment layer. When these are available it will open up the ability when trying to match colours from different images...important when compositing. Users can set the lights, mids & darks from one image save the settings and apply to another. I know that this is achievable with other methods such as gradient maps but it would be more powerful & quicker using curves.

I use blend ranges a lot, it would be good to save the curve, I use macros to create the usual curves but sometimes you need to make adjustments. This is fine but you need to recreate them again to record the macro. The ability to export these settings for safe storage so they can be backed up and reloaded as needed.

I see the advantage of adjustment layer presets, however until they can be exported and reimported as needed I can not rely on them. I prefer to keep visual clutter to a minimum and trying to find a certain preset amongst many is not always easy. For example LUTs, I only use them occasionally but I would like to be able to just have a few available at a time. When my workflow changes I would like to be able to swap them for a different set.

I don't want much do I :4_joy:

Here is my wish list:

• GPU acceleration on Windows.
  • Improved context sensitive shortcuts. I.e. merge selected and new fill layer need to be on the R click menu when interacting with the Layers panel.
  • Fixing the Smudge Tool bugs like pressure sensitivity causing transparency holes on your chosen layer and Flow causing ugly saturation artefacts of the colors.
  • Brush dithering to fix grainy textures on brushes that have 0% Hardness. This issue disappears while working on 16-bit canvases, but apparently adding dithering to brushes would allow you to get that smoothness on 8-bit canvases which are more common to draw and paint on from past experiences.
  • Creating brush texture nozzles directly inside Affinity instead of exporting a piece of your canvas to your computer and importing it back into Affinity for your new brush.
  • The Shape setting doesn't work on brushes with custom brush nozzles like the one previously mentioned. Photoshop can do this, so I think Affinity should too.
  • Alt+drag to duplicate layers like it's done in Photoshop. Very convenient.
  • Color picker for your brush should use the user settings from the Color Picker Tool. Right now you can only use the Global setting for your brush alt shortcut. The Current Layer setting should be supported as well.
  • Add a mouse icon indicator that you're using the color picker when holding down alt with a brush.
  • Render settings previewed on your screen in the Export Persona. A pretty important feature for quick previews while tinkering with settings.
  • An improved brush manager. You can't sort your brush categories on the list and you always open the program with Basic brushes shown first. I want this changed.
  • A smart objects system for better layer management in a project.
  • Rasterizing all selected layers at the same time. Right now you can only rasterize one at a time.
  • All merging layers options need to automatically rasterize before performing the merging. Right now any merge option does not work with anything that isn't a Pixel layer. That means that you get situations where using merge down on your selected layer does not merge with the Group that is stacked just below on the layers list.

I do have more stuff, but I think these are among the more important ones.

My wishlist;
- to finally have an option for 100% zoom by default (so I don't have to Ctrl+1 every damn time I open an image).
- to have an option to rasterize layers by default (so I don't have to rasterize them every time after pasting an image)
- to have something similar to ML Super Resolution from Pixelmator Pro (for me the most important part is that it works also for resizing a single layer using transform, not just entire image).

My Affinity Photo wish for 2020 is that I will be able to import Canon CR3 format raw files into Affinity Photo before I go mad!

This request is for the Canon 90D but I think the M50 plus the EOS R & RP Canon cameras use the same CR3 file format

Is there any chance this could happen sooner rather than later PLEASE because it is a real pain having to open Canon DPP4 software to read the CR3 file, then convert it to a TIFF file just to load it into Affinity Photo in an uncompressed format.

PLEASE try and sort this ASAP, by early 2020 if possible because there are more and more users per day that are going to have this problem as they buy updated Canon models in 2020 onwards and why would they then use or buy Affinity Photo if it can't import the CR3 format?

1)

Custom color highlights for menu items so I can find my Niks Plugins faster. 

2)

A B/W color button for the tool menu for when I forget the "X" keyboard shortcut I can switch between B&W when masking. The other way to do that is going to the color menu on the right and manually clicking black or white but having the tool shortcut would be faster. What would be REALLY fast is if I could remember the "X" shortcut haha

Hello. Affinity Photo trying like beautiful. 
There is no Turkish language alone. surely It
 would be good to add. (adobe photoda var) Affinity 
Photo and Affinity It would be nice to add Back Design ... 
with Mesh Warp / Deformation Tool. 3D Operations 
MAGIX Xara Designer Pro X, such as turn, develop better.
 Thank you ...

009G7o.png

Merhaba. Affinity Fotoğraf güzel gibi deniyorum. 
yalnız türkçe dili yok üzgünüm. Mutlaka
eklenmesi iyi olur. (adobe photoda var) Afinite Fotoğrafı ve Afinite
Tasarımı Mesh Çözgü / Deformasyon Aracı ile Geri Dön ... eklenmesi güzel olur.

3D İşlemleri MAGİX Xara Tasarımcı Pro X gibi dönüşse, gelişse iyi olur. teşekkürler ...

Edited by Kardelen46
ekleme

Could you please change the behavior of the tools in Affinity Photo.

I restore a lot of old photos and I am annoyed every time I have adjusted a tool, but it is misaligned again when I create a new file.
For example the lasso, I set it to add, at the next file it is back to new. Why Affinity Photo can't remember the setting like in Photoshop.
Same with the Restore Brush. Every time it jumps back on repair brush. That sucks!
Same with fillings. If I select Inpaint, it will jump back the next time I use it.

I wish that tool options, once set, should remain even after a restart. Just like in Photoshop.

11 hours ago, Jarrod70 said:

Lol relax mate I used uppercase for effect, it worked thanks for noticing it. I added my request first and then made a general statement for everyone and their requests.

Tell me the last time you made a request and had it implemented?

It is generally considered bad manners to write with Caps Lock since it comes off as being very aggressive. You will not be making many friends by behaving like that all the time on the internet regardless of where you go.

As for your question, there are a couple I can think of. Shift creating straight vertical and horizontal lines for the Brush Tool was a feature I wanted and it got added during the Beta phase of 1.7. They added symmetry drawing tools as well which I wanted, among a bunch of other things they delivered for 1.7.

I have also wanted high precision tablet input added to Affinity for a very long time and the 1.8 Beta implemented it only a couple of builds ago. It may sound insignificant, but this feature alone helps making the Affinity line as a whole a lot more useful for professionals using tablets, which a lot of people use. I pretty much packed my bags from 1.7 and will be working exclusively with 1.8 from now on because of this feature alone.

Just because your needs haven't been met doesn't mean that other people share the same sentiments. What kind of features do you want to see that you think are being ignored?

11 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I have also wanted high precision tablet input added to Affinity for a very long time and the 1.8 Beta implemented it only a couple of builds ago. It may sound insignificant, but this feature alone helps making the Affinity line as a whole a lot more useful for professionals using tablets, which a lot of people use.

I'm embarrassingly guilty of not having had time proper time to fully test (I don't want to just lay some brush strokes) it yet, as super eager as I am of doing so. And is not a small improvement, is HUGE. I plan on painting mostly (will keep using other apps that I like) with Affinity Photo, as is super comfy to have such range of raster tools and features at your disposal while illustrating, and am a pure digital painter, that is, no vectors, only raster -thus, my ideal illustration package is closer to A. Photo than Designer, tho the latter is an amazing vector-raster illustration package. I use it a lot for my vector works (now for all my graphic design and small parts of my 3D tasks, for silhouettes and stuff), and to be sincere, I did not believe I'd end up using it so much. Even while I keep yet using Inkscape as a companion-  ... and I realize how good Photo is becoming (well, all the suite is getting this, IMO). These are lucky years... When I think on the software landscape we had in the 90s... 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

As I've said before, we are not a democracy, we are a benevolent dictatorship. But hey, you guys shout and get temporarily suspended/banned if that works for you....

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

31 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I'm embarrassingly guilty of not having had time proper time to fully test (I don't want to just lay some brush strokes) it yet, as super eager as I am of doing so. And is not a small improvement, is HUGE. I plan on painting mostly (will keep using other apps that I like) with Affinity Photo, as is super comfy to have such range of raster tools and features at your disposal while illustrating, and am a pure digital painter, that is, no vectors, only raster -thus, my ideal illustration package is closer to A. Photo than Designer, tho the latter is an amazing vector-raster illustration package. I use it a lot for my vector works (now for all my graphic design and small parts of my 3D tasks, for silhouettes and stuff), and to be sincere, I did not believe I'd end up using it so much. Even while I keep yet using Inkscape as a companion-  ... and I realize how good Photo is becoming (well, all the suite is getting this, IMO). These are lucky years... When I think on the software landscape we had in the 90s... 

No worries. I did some testing already and found some bugs in regards to mouse and tablet commands I reported in a new thread! :)

Luckily high precision tablet input works like a charm. Photo feels a lot more smooth than it did in 1.7 on my end. If you would take your time to reproduce the bugs I reported it would be much appreciated. As fun as it is now to draw in 1.8, the click command bugs are driving me nuts, lol. ^-^

Merry Christmas and happy New Year for all of us! 

My NY wish list:

1.  Preflight and collect features for affinity publisher - it is vital for large documents with lots of linked content.
  2.  Wrapping tools for Affinity Designer;
  3.  Scanner support for Affinity Photo;
  4. Photoshop styles and vector forms support for Affinity Photo/Affinity Designer 
  5. Some solution for image management, butch processing and RAW-files processing (as Adobe Lightroom).

Best wishes for Affinity team - you've made great work! Keep moving!

Rendering intent in the print dialog (Mac).

I wouldn't mind being able to tap a Macro with a graphics pen and have the macro run.

Instant updating of mask and thumb images in the layers panel.

The Eyecandy plugin working with AP.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

2 hours ago, TomM1 said:

I wouldn't mind being able to tap a Macro with a graphics pen and have the macro run.

That is the oddest bug I have seen in years. I use Wacom, do you or is it something else.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

First of all thanks for all the effort making such a great graphics editing tool!

I myself am mostly interested in usability basics:

* macro capabilities for everything, including plugins (currently even built in functionality isn't fully supported e.g. adding a fixed size outer border and coloring it; adding automatically text signature and positioning it automatically based on edge distance)
* no image zoom without asking - actually fine for bigger images but currenly smaller images are enlarged and sometimes applying some filters etc they are zoomed in/out again without me asking
* remember last choices for all the user input (e.g. change canvas size from center point not default left upper corner) 

I'm absolutely fine paying for it in version 2.0

Thanks.

In no particular order:

• Bug fixes
  • Develop persona: Batch processing and non-destructive RAW development (sidecar files)
  • Develop persona: Eyedropper for white balance
  • Develop persona: Support for CHDK DNG opcodes / dead pixel interpolation
  • Develop persona: Wider parameter range for adjustments that are limited to 25% or 50% today (saturation, for example)
  • Develop persona: Better support for OnePlus DNG files (currently they always get a green tint and almost no saturation whatsoever - Lightroom handles them correctly in these regards) and other RAW/DNG files that have similar problems in Affinity today
  • Photo persona: Numeric parameters in Curves
  • Photo persona: Eyedroppers for whitepoint, blackpoint and graypoint in Levels and Curves
  • Photo persona: Numeric parameters in auto adjustments (auto color, auto contrast, auto levels etc)
  • Photo persona: Both Fill and Opacity parameters like in Photoshop, especially for "special" blend modes like Hard Mix - and fix the wording in the Layer Effects window that says "Fill opacity" - it's just regular opacity, same as the one in the layers list.
  • Photo and Develop persona: Crop tool extended with "Crop to bounds" and "Crop to opaque" like in Panorama mode
  • Any slider, particularly in Develop and Tonemapping personas: Doubleclick to reset slider to zero/default.