You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need the ability to replace the layer content to another in bunch of layers

For example - i have complex file with layers. Each layer has it is own set of effects and transparency settings - but the same content - some vector shape in curves or some word or logo. Then i wish to replace the object (shape in curves) in each layer - but want to replace in ones - and other dependencies also updates automatically. In the same manner there are templates made for use in Photoshop. What is the right name for this functionality and where i can read about this ?

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

• Staff

Hi Manofjesus :)

4 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

In the same manner there are templates made for use in Photoshop.

It sounds like you're looking for SmartObjects, which unfortunately Affinity does not currently support - my apologies.

I'll move your thread to the Feedback section of the forums for our devs to see and consider adding this possibility in a future update!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

It sounds like you're looking for SmartObjects,

Alternatively it almost sounds like Manofjesus is talking about something that could also be done with Symbols (assuming the iOS Affinity applications support them).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

I considered Symbols, however if I have correctly understood the post the user is looking to change the physical vector object to another vector object whilst retaining all the same object attributes.

If this isn't the case @Manofjesus, you may want to check out our tutorial on Symbols - which will automatically update each instance when you change only one. You can find this below!

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/272742120

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

however if I have correctly understood the post the user is looking to change the physical vector object to another vector object whilst retaining all the same object attributes. 

Yes, i need to replace layer content, as using smart objects in PS. I will look to the symbol tutorial :) Big thanks to all helpers !!!

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

Finally it goes much easier. I just enter to the content of my one embedded layer - and change it. All other layers with the same content were updated. Ha-ha. Plain and easy. What i was looking for - but not heard about such feature. But i don't figure out - how to use embedded document as mask. I try to use - but making something wrong i think.

• Staff

I'm glad to hear it!

3 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

how to use embedded document as mask. I try to use - but making something wrong i think

Apologies, I'm not certain what you mean by this - could you provide a screenshot of your layers panel and an example of what you're trying to achieve? TIA!

Please note -

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm glad to hear it!

Apologies, I'm not certain what you mean by this - could you provide a screenshot of your layers panel and an example of what you're trying to achieve? TIA!

I solve this issue, thank you for you help and assistance in advance )))

Affinity team put my work on their Instagram - and that was a huge boost in my followers )))) So i was hurry to preparing my file for uploading.