You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.0.514 on windows 10 - EXIF IPTC

Dear,

I am a little bit puzzled by the new metadata management. It is anyway good news, I am waiting for this since day 1.

IPTC data entry fields seem to be split in 4 windows:
- File
- IPTC (Image)
- IPTC (contact)
- Rights

I would favour a single window, juggling from one to the other is not convenient. Most if not all other photo managers do so. (Adobe, Xnview, Irfanview, etc)

Adding a template for the fields that matter to you is also an usual feature

Not clear whether encoding is UTF-8 or similar, whether you can change the encoding, in order to read and store properly accented and special characters (French, German, Spanish, Arabic, etc)

Is XML coming with the next beta release ?

Regards, Philippe

• Staff

Hi @pdussart,

The 4 window arrangement is by design. Having all on one page would meant to have a really long page. 

Encoding is UTF-8. If you have any issue, give us an example and we can have a look :)

3 hours ago, pdussart said:

Is XML coming with the next beta release ?

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. if you mean the "XMP companion" that other software write along with the exported file, then I'm afraid no. We have no plans to implement this at the moment. . 

Hi,

very sad - XML is a must have for me. I'm using Daminion to organize all files and leave the original photo RAW files untouched as much as possible. All the metadata are in the sidecar XML file and not in the IPTC. Daminion can write IPTC/EXIF and XML but I prefer for RAW files XML sidecar.

Regards, Uwe

Gabe,

I am happy with UTF-8.

Regarding metadata entry, I would prefer to enter key metadata info as a last step in Affinity.

This would happen in the field. I would use a template with about 8 fields like Caption, Description, City, Country, Keywords, Author, Copyright notice, Usage terms. After such template set-up I just see the fields that I need, no less no more. It is also a way of not forgetting one of these fields. Juggling with 4 windows could be error prone and time consuming. Also an update in one go of the RAW and JPG files of the same shot would be useful.

Back in the office, another team or myself are dealing with fine tuning of this matadata (like resolving keywords mispellings, keywords dictionnaries, translations and other metadata issues). Like Uwe, I am using Daminion to manage this second step. We have got 30,000+ RAW/JPG couples, I.e. 60,000 files managed that way so far.

Regards, Philippe

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.