You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about a couple of the latest patch notes

• Disabled WinTab by default (tablet users must now check Windows Ink is enabled in their tablet settings)
  • Improved points delivered from Windows Ink (process point history)

Saw these two points in particular and wanted to ask what exactly this means. Are these going to help address this issue so that your tablet will have better high precision tablet input, or am I misinterpreting what is being said here?

@Frozen Death Knight | @ErrkaPetti, previously we used the WinTab driver for pen input for devices like Wacom, Huion, etc. This is a very old driver technology (pre-dating Windows 3.1!!), and since Windows 8.1, Microsoft have provided a new set of APIs for receiving high precision pointer input (Windows Ink). So, for anyone on Windows 8.1 or later, we will use these new APIs for receiving the input - however, there is the possibility that users have disabled Windows Ink in their tablet settings (e.g. in the Wacom settings panel). If this option is disabled, your pen will be treated like a mouse, and you won't receive high precision input, so it's important to ensure this option is enabled. For anyone on Windows 7, we will continue to use the old driver, as there is no alternative. If you have any further questions, please ask.

This is causing problems with my Wacom Intuos 3 when changing the width and hardness. All I get now is the color picker. With the current retail release, I can change the brush width and hardness by holding down the ALT key, the bottom key on my pen, then dragging. It does the same as the ALT+RMB+LMB.

Plus when attempting this in this beta version, it causes the brush to "stick" and I can not select any other tool or close the program. I must use windows shortcuts.

Trying to correct this, I've completely uninstalled, went to Wacom re-downloaded the current drivers, reinstalled and still get the same problems. This is only happening in this current beta. My Wacom tablet does not have the option to disable (or enable) Windows Ink. FWIW, Windows Ink is enabled, I've done this via the Registry.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi @Ron P., thanks for the info. We've been testing with Wacom Intuos devices internally and haven't experienced any problems. Have you looked in "Wacom Tablet Properties" and then click on the Pen tool, on the mapping tab, in order to see the "Windows Ink" checkbox? With regards to the buttons not working as expected, have you got any custom key mappings in the tablet properties?

@Mark Ingram Okay, thanks! That's great to hear, since I've been waiting for this feature for a very long time. :28_hugging:

@Ron P. Yeah, I noticed that exact same problem when I downloaded the latest Beta and tested things out. I don't have this problem with the 1.7 build after trying both versions. It's a pretty serious bug since it affects everything from my R click commands to even the mouse cursor icon which is replaced by just the standard Windows mouse cursor. When I switch to using my mouse the problem disappears completely, so something seems to be going on in with the implementation of this feature. I hope it gets addressed fairly soon, since I really want to jump over to 1.8 immediately with this new change.

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @Ron P., thanks for the info. We've been testing with Wacom Intuos devices internally and haven't experienced any problems. Have you looked in "Wacom Tablet Properties" and then click on the Pen tool, on the mapping tab, in order to see the "Windows Ink" checkbox? With regards to the buttons not working as expected, have you got any custom key mappings in the tablet properties?

Already activated Windows Ink and the issue still persists. I do have customized keys, but my Wacom pen has the default commands. I use a Wacom Cintiq 13 inch HD on Windows 10.

Yes, I also having problems with my wacom intous pt s (with the latest drivers installed). I 've configured the wacom driver so that it enables windows-ink only for the beta. So far the brush dynamics work, but as soon I'm leaving the canvas (e.d. to change the tool or the color) the brush-preview disappears and it shows the standart mouse-pointer or in case of the eraser-tool nothing. If I then use the mouse again, the brush-preview shows again.

Just done a quick video to show how the brush is "mis"behaving now. I don't have these problems with the retail version or the previous beta.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

This is the first AP version that is nearly useless for me. I can do things, so long as I don't try to use my Wacom. Once I do, I can not select any other tool, or do anything else. I have to use keyboard shortcuts to exit the program.

I use a Wacom that always worked perfectly. But now I am waiting for the next beta as this "missing brush tip" is bugging me also.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.