You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black, white and grey point selection

Hi there!
I am a new user, and I come from PS (of course).
To remove any color cast from my shots, I always used the method explained by Jimmy McIntyre: basically on a curve adjustment I set the white point and the black point (using a threshold level), then I set the gray point (using a 50% gray level in difference).
Shgould it be possible to have such tools? They would save me tons of hours in removing color cast....

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Hi Tom_75,

Welcome to the forums :)

The ability to do this is something that has been requested in the past and may be added in a future update.

Thanks

C

Thank you soo much Callum! This is a great news!
Since my goal is not to have a "rebranded" Photoshop, maybe there is a different method to achieve the same result. Of course, I am not speaking about the white balance tool, I think about something to create a curve adjustment, that is able to correct the single RGB channels in order to remove cast. 

Of course if I was not clear, I'd be happy to show something more

I currently use Curves tool to adjust white balance/cast removal and use Info window to see exact changes to colour values while I lift or lower the gamma of each channel. Using grey point picker is faster but usually takes further manipulation of curves anyway to make it right.

18 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I currently use Curves tool to adjust white balance/cast removal and use Info window to see exact changes to colour values while I lift or lower the gamma of each channel. Using grey point picker is faster but usually takes further manipulation of curves anyway to make it right.

I saw a video exactly 10 minutes ago, that explained more or less uses the same approach but using white balance (together with the info window). 
Tonight I will try to use it, using black point, white point, and probably the grey point (it is quite easy to get it, using a 50% grey level in mode "subtract"). And of course I will let you know.

8 minutes ago, Tom_75 said:

I saw a video exactly 10 minutes ago, that explained more or less uses the same approach but using white balance (together with the info window). 
Tonight I will try to use it, using black point, white point, and probably the grey point (it is quite easy to get it, using a 50% grey level in mode "subtract"). And of course I will let you know.

I looked at a couple of Jimmy McIntyre's videos (not sure if either is the one you referred to initially) where he used a Curves layer, and an Threshold layer, and a 50% Gray layer set to difference, and set sampling points to locate the white, black, and gray points. Then he adjusted the curves layer using the white, black, and gray points.

All of that is possible in Affinity Photo, though I'm unsure how the curve adjustment using the gray point is done. But certainly all the steps to determing the 3 points work, and adjusting the curve for the white/black points works.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I looked at a couple of Jimmy McIntyre's videos (not sure if either is the one you referred to initially) where he used a Curves layer, and an Threshold layer, and a 50% Gray layer set to difference, and set sampling points to locate the white, black, and gray points. Then he adjusted the curves layer using the white, black, and gray points.

All of that is possible in Affinity Photo, though I'm unsure how the curve adjustment using the gray point is done. But certainly all the steps to determing the 3 points work, and adjusting the curve for the white/black points works.

Thank you very much, it is exactly the technique I was speaking about. Probably, using the white balance instead of the curves and selecting "midtones", can do the trick for the grey point

11 minutes ago, Tom_75 said:

Thank you very much, it is exactly the technique I was speaking about. Probably, using the white balance instead of the curves and selecting "midtones", can do the trick for the grey point

Perhaps.

Finding the gray point works just fine using his techniques. I'm just unclear what kind of curves adjustment to make using it; that was the only issue I had following his video.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps.

Finding the gray point works just fine using his techniques. I'm just unclear what kind of curves adjustment to make using it; that was the only issue I had following his video.

I think the point is to find a good grey point, and use the white balance to have equal values of R, G and B. I'll do some tests tonight...