You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invert not working as expected

I was initially trying to colorize the logo like I would a 1 bit tiff in Indesign. However, that doesn't work in Affinity.

So I used the tool called rasterize to mask and set the document to 1200 DPI and added a gold background to simulate the color through the mask. I was actually impressed with it until I realized the logo was actually inverted. So i thought I would just invert the logo before rasterizing to mask. Unfortunately I found the invert doesn't work right. I must be doing something wrong.

Here is the course I'm taking:

1. the vector logo I use the raster function when I right click.

2. I go the layer selection and choose the layer selection and choose invert.

I would think that what was black and would be white and what is white would be black. but that doesn't work. It turns it to a dark gray background. 

See here:1861724684_ScreenShot2019-12-04at4_56_18PM.thumb.jpg.ea6d0040ebd025096ca1584b5737b07b.jpg

The image on the right is told to be inverted, but clearly it is not.

The image on the left is the normal logo that I want to be inverted. 

they both are sitting on the gray pasteboard.

I would need to see the original file of the logo, the colours of the image you included are not Black and White but shades of grey, then there is what ever transparency is in the original.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So you are expecting a result more like this...
Screen-Shot-2019-12-05-at-07-19-33.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In Designer AFAI can tell the Invert layer mask function has always a tendency to use/convert to a graylevel instead, thus you may need to make a color adjustment (gray to black/white) afterwards.

ohio_color.jpg.b148386ae7bbba60e9098d0383203231.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

So here is what I am getting with the different options:

183634584_ScreenShot2019-12-05at12_02_28PM.thumb.jpg.3575b1b2cb56b33488de9aad3890a020.jpg

The inverted in photoshop is what I would expect of a straight invert. i can't seem to get it to work.

First Defense: You are close but the I can see a difference between the lines and the background.

@Old Bruce: Yes, it is all black and white. There is no gray. The gray you see comes from the background pasteboard. Or I should say, "There should be no gray." I'm not exactly sure what Affinity does with the 1 bit files because it does seem to change them from black to a combination making black.

@v_kyryou have produced the look I am going for, but I'm not sure how you got there. Wass it as simple as clicking invert?

Coming from years of using Photoshop, what I expect as invert, just isn't the same and something I need to relearn.

thanks!

OK, so considering this is not done with the original file but from the example in the first post which has no true blacks or whites, I get what I would expect after hitting ‘Invert’.
So, what is different in the original file?

PauldingInverted.jpg.dd857ba1d07ea1783223e143ddc5ac48.jpg

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

3 hours ago, Bryce said:

you have produced the look I am going for, but I'm not sure how you got there. Wass it as simple as clicking invert?

No. - AFAI remember the steps I made were ...

• I've traced your initial left side logo with a tracing tool setup as 8 graylevel colors to vectors.
  • Then I opened the resulting vector trace in AD and inspected the 8 vector layers the tracer produced.
  • One of the 8 layers was the probably unneeded gray, the one of your image background, I've removed that layer.
  • I added/combined all 7 remaining vector layers together into one single layer for easier handling.
  • I've performed the AD "Layer > New Adjustment > Invert" and the result was a gray colored layer, so no deep black.
  • I've selected the layer and changed the gray color to black via the color panel.

All in all somehow like this (AFAI remember, thus no guarantee).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, Bryce said:

So here is what I am getting with the different options:

Not much to add except "me too".

It's actually the first thing I've tried on Affinity Photo and I had to go straight back to Photoshop bcause I was getting almost identical results to you with Invert.

The image itself was vector lines and fills at 100% black and instead of going through each one by one and changing them to white I thought I could use the option to rasterize and do it all at once. Once rasterized I thought it would be easy to change color or invert. For some reason neither is easy to do when something has been rasterized in Affinity.