You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Draw a Premium Badge in Affinity Designer

BTW the fan like object can also be made out of a gear/cog shape, afterwards converted to curves. The unwanted parts of it can then be deleted and adjusted/resized with the node tool as you showed before with your method.

fan_gear.jpg.3663b7243de297138d2719e154f64804.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Curiously, my AD 1.7.3 / Win 10 maxes the cloud shape out at 48 bubbles, and won't do the 70 your tutorial specifies. Tried a few things to force it without success, couldn't find a Preference to change, noticed my cloud radius is at 97% as is yours. Gave up and tried a work-around using the cog Shape tool instead that does allow me 70 cogs, then I rounded the heck out of the squared-off cogs and took the center hole radius to 0%, eliminating it. This resulted in the same shape you had for the badge in your tutorial.

Sooo, I post this for anyone else that bumps into a 48-bubble max like I did. [FYI, my document is Print, Letter, 300 res, display in inches, Art board, although I don't see how it should matter.]

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

15 hours ago, jer said:

Win 10 maxes the cloud shape out at 48 bubbles, and won't do the 70 your tutorial specifies...

Did you tried to edit the associated cloud shape text/number field, aka double clicking on it and overtyping 48 with 70?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

46 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Did you tried to edit the associated cloud shape text/number field, aka double clicking on it and overtyping 48 with 70?

Yes, it would not stick. The slider stopped at 48. So I over-typed the 48 in the field with 70. When I hit "Enter" it deleted my 70 and reverted back to 48. I also started over, did not use the slider, and just over-typed the default with 70. It would not stick either.

"Then it seems to behave differently on Windows as on MacOS ..."

Thanks for your video. I did it just as you did but my 70 would not stick. Ah, well, using the Cog tool in place of the Cloud tool was more entertaining anyway. I don't believe I would have thought to use it if not for your post that it could be used to make the rays instead of the triangle, CTL-J, Rotate, Repeat manual method. Thanks for your initial post as well as trying to make sense of the 48-max problem. Maybe I should have simply tried restarting AD or Windows; you never know what that will fix. ;)

5 hours ago, jer said:

I did it just as you did but my 70 would not stick.

Strange! - Good there are other shape tools like the cog tool for the rescue. :)