You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quicklook process :: very demanding in v518

When I have v518 open it calls 2 quicklook processes in a very CPU demanding way and makes my macbook's fan go mad.

First I thought it might occur just to generate the .afpub icons in the new Open window – but the icons all were done already and "quicklookd" & "QuickLookSatellite" kept running for more than 10 minutes, which made me quit v518.

As soon I close v518 also the quicklook processes stop.

160494049_v518quicklookprocesses2.jpg.1628477a0a46afc86b4ae025d1a6ffc0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Still after 30 minutes both quicklook processes and therefore the fan are intense. Though I had been in the browser app (not in APu) I now find v518 with increased CPU use compared to 20 minutes ago. Quite weird for an app which is unused in background.

358544746_v518quicklookprocesses3.jpg.26f17010ac864b8813d297d2b68917ac.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

"QuickLookSatellite"

I have never seen this one before. And I don't see the quicklookd process using very much. I will check with the other computer later.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Seeing the same thing. I saw that high CPU yesterday but did not relate it to APub beta. But based on this thread, just opened the beta again. I can see where the quicklook processes start to go wild is when I do a Create New. Th efirst time I tried that, then canceled, the quicklook processes stopped. But the second time I did a Create New, both processes started and wouldn't quit after canceling from the New dialog pane. I had to quit the beta to get them to stop.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 10.25.34 AM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Not seeing anything like this, Publisher 1.7.3 uses much more in the cpu than the beta 1.8.0.518

The quicklook things register as 0.0 % cpu.

@thomaso & @nwhit  I noticed you each have an Adobe app running, I don't have any so can't check that out.

I have checked with OSes 10.12 & 10.14 as per my sig.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

The quicklook processes start up with the beta open when you open the create a New document panel. They only stop when I quit the beta, so definitely tied to the beta. I don't get either quicklook process when running 1.7.3, even when opening the New doc panel.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, nwhit said:

The quicklook processes start up with the beta open when you open the create a New document panel. They only stop when I quit the beta, so definitely tied to the beta. I don't get either quicklook process when running 1.7.3, even when opening the New doc panel.

I am seeing the same ( 0.0 % for the quicklook items) with respect to 1.7.3 but I do not get anything more than the same 0.0 % for the quicklook items running the beta, 1.8.0.518

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am seeing the same ( 0.0 % for the quicklook items) with respect to 1.7.3 but I do not get anything more than the same 0.0 % for the quicklook items running the beta, 1.8.0.518

Did you do a CMD-N? I don't get the runaway processes until I try to open a new doc with the new "New" interface. But once the runaway processes start, they don't quit. I just left the beta running in the background for an hour and both the quicklook processes were still running high CPU and even the beta was using more CPU in the background than 1.7.3 or other apps.

Update: I just left the beta running in the background for about 20 minutes but did not do a CMD-N since opening it. Did not get either quicklook process showing and the beta used very little CPU (about the same as 1.7.3 and other background apps). It appears that the New dialog is not only causing the high CPU quicklook processes to run, but also then leaves the app itself using more CPU.

All of this is with Metal, BTW. Might be a difference????

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I tried with Command N and with File > New... I let it run for a while and tried both methods again. 

I think I have narrowed this down. 

The newly designed New dialog pane also is attempting to show previews of ALL recent APub docs and templates (not presets) IF THE ALL BUTTON IS SELECTED, so it apparently is having to search all HD's to get previews of the perhaps dozens of previous APub docs on a person's computer and external drives. That could be an intensive process and might be the cause of this issue. 

I just tested the beta by opening the CMD-N window and turned off the "ALL" button by clicking on the "Presets" button. I no longer get the runaway quicklook processes nor the excess beta app CPU usage. If I then click on the "All" button, the excessive CPU quicklook processes start again. But if I quickly select "Presets" instead of All, the processes stop.

Just a guess, but it seems it is narrowed down to that newly designed New window where with the "All" selected at the top, APub now shows previews of templates and recent docs. For some of us, that's a lot of previews to be generated within that window. Guessing that Affinity is using Apple's QuickLook to generate those previews, but it seems to be casuing excess CPU issues if that "All" is selected, even after you close that window. You have to deselect the All by selecting Presets to get the excess CPU to stop.

Once you close that window (such as with a Cancel), those processes (generating previews) should stop I would think. Also likely need some better way to control the preview process so that ti doesn't cause such a huge issue for CPU usage for such a long time. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

35 minutes ago, nwhit said:

Just a guess, but it seems it is narrowed down to that newly designed New window where with the "All" selected at the top, APub now shows previews of templates and recent docs. For some of us, that's a lot of previews to be generated within that window. Guessing that Affinity is using Apple's QuickLook to generate those previews, but it seems to be casuing excess CPU issues if that "All" is selected, even after you close that window. You have to deselect the All by selecting Presets to get the excess CPU to stop.

I think you have nailed it, my mostly all text 'recent' files would explain why I haven't had a spike.

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

First I thought it might occur just to generate the .afpub icons in the new Open window – but the icons all were done already

2 hours ago, nwhit said:

I think I have narrowed this down. 

The newly designed New dialog pane also is attempting to show previews of ALL recent APub docs and templates

I still don't think that the recent and template .afpubs cause this massive quicklook processes.
For both APu has no need to do a search, and definitly not on the complete disk or for 30 minutes and more.

The number of recent files is quite limited (set by the user) and well known to APub (as list of paths like in v.1.7.3). Nothing to search for. Their icons are done in seconds.
The template .afpubs are stored at 1 place (you have to define 1 folder for them). APub has no need to look for any somewhere else.

As mentioned in my initial post these icons in the Open window did exist already when I got aware about this quicklook processes issue.

Besides quicklook it also appears weird that APub itself runs with massive CPU usage even if it is not in foreground use.
Compare: The v.1.7.3 can be open but its CPU usage goes down up to 0% if the app is in background.

Finally quicklook is no tool for a search, APub can easily get info about possibly according files from macOS's permanently updated "Spotlight" data base (md processes).

So I still wonder what APub tries to do when starting quicklook without finishing it.

Nearly the same behaviour here:

CPU: 263,2 (quicklook), 209 (Publisher)

But the difference is that it only starts when I open a second document with the command N - the first document was working normal.
After trying to open the second document, Publisher slows down immediately.

This only stops when I'm closing down Publisher in the hard way!

• Staff

I can confirm these observations.

It's basically trying to get a quicklook preview for IDML files, which doesn't exist - but is constantly trying

It's a bug that I've logged - thanks for all the information

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P, to me this quicklook processes did not pop up again after a macbook's reboot. *

Instead I got after reboot two finder-like windows when opening v518, asking for two file paths (sharing, application). This is a bit odd because I had used yesterday (before reboot) at least one of these folders by exporting an .afpub as template . So the app got at least that path, didn't it?

Nevertheless, although I am aware that some betas first issues disappeared after reboot I still forget to reboot. Shame on me. On the other hand in macOS this need is unusual after an app installation - or, if necessary, triggered by the app installer itself after showing an info message before starting the installing process.

* EDIT: after running v518 about 30 minutes in background I just got aware (by fan noise) that the 'quicklooked' processes does run again, though now in a little less demanding way then yesterday/before reboot. So, I am not sure at all that reboot had any influence on this processes.

@Jon P, unfortunately one of the two finder-like windows (mentioned previously) appeared to be related to application user preferences. I just discovered 18 .propcol files in my documents folder (the one I had selected during the app start).

How can I reset this path, e.g. to the former "~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher beta/user" ?
Sorry, I can't find a preference to set it.

• Staff

two finder-like windows when opening v518, asking for two file paths (sharing, application)

I'm not overly sure what you mean by these, unless it was a permissions window and you needed to grant Mac permission - I don't suppose you took a screenshot of them when they appeared?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Unfortunately I did no screenshot – I thought I'd get access to that dialogs again at any later time.

It was definitely no permissions window, both asked for a file path/folder.

Both windows looked the same, just with different line of text in the header. The look was quite the same like a "Save As..." window, but not docked and no title bar and with a text command instead. After confirming the first window ('share') it closed and immediately the second appeared ('application'). There was no other Affinity UI visible at that moment, the document window and panels occurred after confirming these dialog windows.

1780531022_v518setpathsaboutlook.jpg.80dc51334928077d08bea1abacb23615.jpg

7 hours ago, Jon P said:

I can confirm these observations.

It's basically trying to get a quicklook preview for IDML files, which doesn't exist - but is constantly trying

It's a bug that I've logged - thanks for all the information

Aha! Had not thought about the idml files, but now that I look, I now see that idml files are included in the "Recent" section. Thus for people who have not tried the IDML import, they might not see this quicklook issue as seriously.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

19 hours ago, thomaso said:

It was definitely no permissions window, both asked for a file path/folder.

Actually, that probably was a permission window in disguise.  It is somehow related to the way sandboxing works.

I agree that if you got two of them at once and there was no explanation that is a confusing situation and should probably be changed somehow...

23 minutes ago, fde101 said:

that probably was a permission window in disguise.  It is somehow related to the way sandboxing works.

It was asking me to confirm a file path, were it stored 18 .propcol files afterwards (see screenshot above).

I have no sandbox Affinity version, did not buy in the AppStore.

One might call a file path definition a "permission" (to allow to save at THAT place) – to me a permission on a computer is always just "Yes" or "No", not a file path.

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

One might call a file path definition a "permission" (to allow to save at THAT place)

Yes, exactly.

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I have no sandbox Affinity version, did not buy in the AppStore.

I believe the non-app-store version is also sandboxed, but I'm not 100% certain.  An app does not need to be on the app store to be sandboxed.

@Jon P, I emptied my recent files for v518. Indeed the quicklook issue disappeared. Thank you!

– Now I still would want to reset the path for those .propcol files in the screenshot above – any hint where I can set it again?

@fde101, in current Affinity versions + bug reports the "permission" issues are related to saving, exporting or crashing problems, not to a dialog window to set a custom file path. That way to call this "quicklook" issue a "permission" issue would be unnecessary confusing.

The info about Sandbox of AppStore versions only was given in the forum by a moderator at least once.
Also your Activity Monitor.app gives the info about apps using Sandbox, possibly you need to activate its column first:
1106184514_sandboxinfo.jpg.b4eb0c3170a58dbc9c55eae9e07bf3b1.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.