You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make "Import PSD text as text..." turned on by default.

When I started using Affinity products first, I thought it's not possible to import PSD file and edit the texts. However, I searched on Google and came to know that it's quite possible by turning on "Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap" option on the Preferences.

It'd be great if we see this option turned on by default on the upcoming updates :) What do you think friends?

editable text.png

With the option off, your rasterized text will appear visually more like the original, I think. With it off, you'll be able to edit the text but its appearance and layout may not exactly match the original.

Personally, I think I prefer it as it is now, preserving the visual fidelity of the original by default.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Personally, I think I prefer it as it is now, preserving the visual fidelity of the original by default.

What if the font in the PSD is not installed on your system? The visual fidelity is gone plus you can't change the font anymore.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

13 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

What if the font in the PSD is not installed on your system? The visual fidelity is gone plus you can't change the font anymore.

If true, that's a good point. (I can't test, not having any PSD files.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm glad this was here, as we replaced Photoshop with Affinity Publisher for 6 end users who simply need to modify text in Photoshop files weekly from the design team, but don't need the full Adobe suite. To save money we replaced Ps with Publisher a couple of weeks ago. A team member and I (IT support) just spent close to an hour trying to figure out why he couldn't edit text in the PSD file (I could on my system, but I've had all Affinity apps for a while and had apparently set the preference long ago) and ran into this when I searched the forums. Just saved us having to re-buy Photoshop for 6 users...some sort of warning would be nice, or an option on open (like missing fonts), even though maybe text editable-by-default isn't the right answer.