You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer is Linking Images

This is driving me nuts. My Affinity Designer all of a sudden is linking the images I place in the documents I'm working on. If I place the image in my document, save/close the document, and remove the original image from its location on the desktop or rename it, I get a message that I am missing resources when I reopen my working document.  I am then given the choice of locating the missing resource.  I've been using Affinity for over a year and this hasn't happened until just recently.  What can I do to prevent AD from linking the image and get it to, instead, embed the image?

Thanks.

One scenario that causes this (at least on Windows) is using the Print (Press Ready) preset when you create a document. That bug has been reported.

There may be others, but to start with if you avoid that preset you may avoid the probem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem and getting mad about this. I am working with one document on a MacBook and on an iMac. If I place a  local image on iMac and open the document with MacBook I get the missing resources message because the image was linked and not embedded! (At least I am asked to open the resource manager to fix this.)

Therefor 2 simple questions to the Affinity developers:

1.How to force Designer to embed images

2. How to open the resource manager in Designer (without getting the missing resource message!)? Which menu?

Uli

33 minutes ago, Uli62 said:

Therefor 2 simple questions to the Affinity developers:

1.How to force Designer to embed images

2. How to open the resource manager in Designer (without getting the missing resource message!)? Which menu?

It is supposed to embed images automatically. Perhaps you can tell us more about your document (for example, what Preset did you use when creating it)?

There is no menu item to open the Resource Manager in Designer. It is opened only when a missing resource is detected, which should only happen when you're using a document created or updated by Publisher. Only Publisher is supposed to be able to link files.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It is supposed to embed images automatically. Perhaps you can tell us more about your document (for example, what Preset did you use when creating it)?

There is no menu item to open the Resource Manager in Designer. It is opened only when a missing resource is detected, which should only happen when you're using a document created or updated by Publisher. Only Publisher is supposed to be able to link files.

here is a link to download the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vPd608SJ6SJmIerA2xqaJ_UsRWyFhsiP/view?usp=sharing

Just for your information. Photo and Designer were purchased via  mac app store. I took part at the Publisher beta. Therefore Publisher was purchased by Affinity directly.

In the forum, I found something Publisher would cause this linked image problem. Therefore I removed Publisher from the iMac. But I could not see improvement to this problem.

18 minutes ago, Uli62 said:

In the forum, I found something Publisher would cause this linked image problem.

As far as I know, that can only occur if you open your file using Publisher, and make changes.

Thanks for the file. It certainly confirms that you have some linked images, but gives no hints why.

Question: Did you use the Replace Image button on any of those images (especially the ones that are Linked)? There's a bug on Windows where using Replace Image in Designer will let you choose to Link the images, but I don't know if that same bug exists on Mac.

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As far as I know, that can only occur if you open your file using Publisher, and make changes.

Thanks for the file. It certainly confirms that you have some linked images, but gives no hints why.

Question: Did you use the Replace Image button on any of those images (especially the ones that are Linked)? There's a bug on Windows where using Replace Image in Designer will let you choose to Link the images, but I don't know if that same bug exists on Mac.

Maybe I used the replace button on 1 or 2 images, but not on all images and I am pretty sure, that I did not open Publisher within this project.

Nevertheless, the project is in draft mode and I can start from scratch. Now the situation is like this, that every new image is linked and as it is not possible to open the resource manager I cannot change the status to embedded. To continue with this file I must rename one image to force designer to open the resource manager when opening the file. Then I can change to embedded. But this is not a workaround that’s useful.

Just now I installed Designer trial version on a windows 10 machine. I will try something here...

Anyway, it would be very useful to have a resource manager within Designer and to choose the way of placing images in a new document. Often it is nice to work with linked images. Sadly not in my case.

1 minute ago, Uli62 said:

Nevertheless, the project is in draft mode and I can start from scratch. Now the situation is like this, that every new image is linked and as it is not possible to open the resource manager I cannot change the status to embedded. To continue with this file I must rename one image to force designer to open the resource manager when opening the file. Then I can change to embedded. But this is not a workaround that’s useful.

You could open it in Publisher (if you have an artboard, tell Publisher not to convert to pages), and then you could use File > Document Setup to change the image preference from Linked to Embedded.

Or, you could just continue working on it in Publisher, which has full support for Linked files. StudioLink will allow you to use the Designer Persona in Publisher to use the same tools you have available in the Designer application (but you would need to import any Assets, custom brushes, etc. as they are not shared between applications).

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could open it in Publisher (if you have an artboard, tell Publisher not to convert to pages), and then you could use File > Document Setup to change the image preference from Linked to Embedded.

Or, you could just continue working on it in Publisher, which has full support for Linked files. StudioLink will allow you to use the Designer Persona in Publisher to use the same tools you have available in the Designer application (but you would need to import any Assets, custom brushes, etc. as they are not shared between applications).

Ahhhh! Very strange, but it works. The reason why I used AD for making flyers, posters, and roll-ups is the absence in AP having custom layout sizes when creating a new documents. There are some things to do for the Affinity Developers for the next releases. Custom Layout in AP and resource manager in AD. There is also a problem in AD working with artboards and bleeds.

I will see how it works with bleeds printing in AP... 

Thanks for your help

You're welcome.

(And, as far as "custom layout sizes" go, I think that Publisher has all the same standard sizes as Designer.)

-- Walt
PC: