You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Pattern Tool/Maker

Hello! 

I recently emailed Affinity Support with a suggestion for a pattern tool similar to the one in Illustrator, and they advised me to make a post here. 

I'm a newbie when it comes to graphic design, but I have played around with both Affinity Designer and Illustrator, and the one thing I personally miss is the pattern tool in Illustrator. 

I love the interface in Designer because it seems to have a little bit less of a learning curve, but some kind of pattern tool would enable me to switch over completely, I think.

Probably not the first one to suggest this, so I hope it's okay to post about!

Thanks. :)

Me too - I"m just looking at Affinity Designer after watching a video of someone using it on Skillshare.com  and it seems to be less complicated for my needs.  Pattern Repeat is needed for my needs so until I have that I cannot purchase the software.  Thanks ..... 

• 3 years later...

I agree 100%. Affinity Designer really needs an easy pattern maker or a way to make seamless repeats. This would be a huge bonus for surface designers. Having to set up art boards and symbols and calculate offsets is just too cumbersome.  I haven't used the Illustrator tool referenced here, but I love the Photoshop Pattern Preview tool. That was a game changer for me.  Since it isn't easy to go back and forth between AD and Photoshop, I'm kind of stuck.  After the awesome shape builder addition (that sealed the deal on me purchasing this software) that is my next big Wish List item!!!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

V2 of the suite has a Pattern Layer in Photo, but not in Designer.  Strange.  It's difficult to build a vector-based pattern for seamless tile pngs in Designer because of this.  In Photo, no problem with bitmap images, brushes, etc.  But in Designer ???

--

Stuke

On 1/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, Stuke said:

It's difficult to build a vector-based pattern for seamless tile pngs in Designer because of this.

Is it? I've never tried yet.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, Stuke said:

But in Designer ???

For a start, what I did right now as an example:

1. set up a square document, ideally pixel size that is divisible in 2 all the way back to 1, i.e. for example 1024×1024 pixel
  2. created a grid e.g. 8 divisions, meaning each tile will be 128×128 px
  3. created a blank rectangle 128×128 px without fill or stroke, aligned to one of the divisions
  4. made it into a symbol
  5. power duplicated that symbol to fill the canvas, i.e. 8×8 symbols
  6. started to draw a few random strokes with the Pencil tool
  7. clipped them into one of the blank rectangles that I turned into a symbol
  8. with the corresponding snapping options on, adjusted then stroke ends so that they snap to each other on the rectangle borders

The following simple vector pattern – hey, my first one ever! :) – took me about two minutes to make.
Voilà:

ade_vector_pattern_symbols.png.4033f7ed1716b1167ea6ff8eacfd9e73.png

As a side note:

It's pointless to bump an archived V1 feature request. There will be no more features added to v1.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2