You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cutting a part of an image and paste it into new document does not work

Hi,

I am a beginner and have loaded an image and wanted to cut out a part of the image and paste it back into an empty document. That should be the simplest requirement ever. 

BUT what I expected doesn't happen with the following steps:

1. I load a picture 
2. go to Cut out
3. open a new document
4. go to Insert. 

Instead of the cut out part of the image appearing in the new image, only an empty area is shown. I have tried this at least 4 times with different images. It is always the same result. 
Who can tell me what I am doing wrong. 

Thank you for your support.

Guenter 

HI, 

Thanks for the information. The layer is activated. The problem is unchanged. If I remove the check mark at the layer the whole image is gone. If I activate the layer again ( check mark ON ), the image is back again. 

If I then use the Cut function again, no frame can be opened. The empty area appears immediately. 
I really can't find a solution for a working cut out. 

Thanks for your help. Guenter 

86653C97-448D-4FAF-A273-05CB3BC5C34D.jpeg

• Staff

@Guenni You have reported the above 2 posts, rather than replied to them. Please use the Submit Reply option at the bottom of the thread to post your response.

I've copy & pasted your comments from the reports, please find these below - 

6 hours ago, dutchshader said:

The checkmark is to view or hide the layer, you should click on the layer, it should color bleu

Hi, o.k.

It all sounds so simple. With these many adjustment options, it is quite difficult. I would have liked to have clicked in the right place and found the blue mark.  I have tried everything possible. Unfortunately in vain. Could you describe the position, which you mean somewhat more exactly.  Thanks for further support  Guenter

5 hours ago, DWright said:

HI @Guenni,     

The screen recording below shows how to copy a section from a photo and then paste this in a new document.

Pasting to new document.mov

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback,

I'm afraid that's not what I meant. I can understand what can be seen in the video. 

But I mean a much simpler process. I want to cut a square area out of an image and paste it into a new document that's all. 
When I go to the top left on the iPAD to the 3 points and select Cut, an empty area appears immediately. So I can't cut anything. The layer settings have the pixel background activated. 
With the variety of possible settings I obviously can't realize this simple function. 
Can I get a hint again?
Thanks Guenter

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

32 minutes ago, Dan C said:

When I go to the top left on the iPAD

Maybe this question should be posted in the iPad Forum but it sounds like you're trying to cut before you've selected anything.  You need to select your area and then cut it. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff
10 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Maybe this question should be posted in the iPad Forum 

I've moved the thread, thanks Ian :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello your supporters,

I had some free time now and tried again to cut out a rectangular area from a picture. Despite all the tips I could not realize this simple function, that I cut out a part of an image and insert it as a new image. 
The best would be if someone would be willing to make a mini video so that I can reproduce it without any doubt. 
I would be very grateful for that. 

Thanks for your help And Merry Christmas and all the best for 2020

Guenter 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

My apologies for the delayed response Guenter, as we have been closed over the holiday period.

I've attached a new screen recording below, please make sure you follow each step carefully.

You may have not been able to cut out a section of your image before as the layer wasn't rasterised. The first step in the below video shows this process, then I change to the Selection Persona, select an area, change back to the Photo Persona, select Cut, navigate to the other document and then select paste -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

If your image is already a pixel layer, rasterising is not required. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 years later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @Orthodoxuk :)

On 11/1/2023 at 12:15 PM, Orthodoxuk said:

what if you want to save the bird as the new image to be used later?

Depending on what exactly you are looking for, this can be achieved in a few ways.

Firstly, after making your selection you can use 'Cut' and then 'Paste' to create a new layer of the selection area.
With this layer selected, you can then add this as an Asset to be reused in any later document.

Secondly, after making your selection you can use 'Copy', then return to the homescreen of the Affinity app and tap New > New From Clipboard, which will create a new document of the selected area only. You can then save/export this file as required.

Please see both of these in the below recording:

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!