You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste where you are.

Dams

Hi,

Right now when you copy paste layers from the same or another file, the paste is always done at the same coordinate as the original object.

Which can be good if the file is the same size, but in UI design you usually have a library and copy/paste between files and big files.

This become a nightmare very fast. I spent my time scrolling all the time to the top of the file (13,000px) just to be able to position the object I just past.

Please add an option to paste the object in the center of the screen instead of an absolute position in the file itself.

• Staff

It should be trying to paste at the same location in the new document. If the original location would mean that it was outside the bounds of the new document then it would become positioned in the new document by centering whichever (or both) axis was causing it to be outside the bounds.

I actually had the logic to this being different originally and it was more like what you've just requested - it would try to paste at the original location unless that would not be visible, in which case it would do the centering logic described above but based on the view's bounds (not the document's bounds like currently). Basically, you'd always be able to see the thing you pasted, but it would try to retain the original location if it would be visible.

Illustrator gets around the copy and paste in the same spot by having command-v to paste in the window's centre and command-f to paste in the same spot. Very handy for when you do want something exactly on top of another object or not...

Somewhat related to this... is there another way of getting an object from one layer to another other than copy and pasting?

• 2 weeks later...

Illustrator gets around the copy and paste in the same spot by having command-v to paste in the window's centre and command-f to paste in the same spot. Very handy for when you do want something exactly on top of another object or not...

Somewhat related to this... is there another way of getting an object from one layer to another other than copy and pasting?

Yeah, Illustrator goes a lot farther than that.  You can, pan over to a new location and paste right there regardless of where it came from.  Or you can paste right back into the same coordinates.  Plus, you can copy objects from 10 layers, create a new document and paste, automatically creating those 10 layers.  That feature is incredible.  Plus, you can select an object and paste directly behind it, or directly in front of it. 

When I start asking about new features in any new or small program, I'm generally just hoping that someone will copy all the incredible features from Illustrator to give a real alternative to using Illustrator.

• Staff

Hi KuttyJoe,

Some interesting ideas right there - although we already do the paste in front / behind / inside - just click one of the three toolbar button on the far top right before pasting :)

Affinity achieves the paste in place / paste visible thing in a slightly different way - if pasting the object in it's original place would be visible, we do that - otherwise we paste it somewhere you can see.

I'm sure we'll be adding to these capabilities over time - so we'll give some thought to your suggestions.

Thanks,

AndyS

• Staff

Affinity Designer can already pa

Yeah, Illustrator goes a lot farther than that.  You can, pan over to a new location and paste right there regardless of where it came from.  Or you can paste right back into the same coordinates.  Plus, you can copy objects from 10 layers, create a new document and paste, automatically creating those 10 layers.  That feature is incredible.  Plus, you can select an object and paste directly behind it, or directly in front of it. 

When I start asking about new features in any new or small program, I'm generally just hoping that someone will copy all the incredible features from Illustrator to give a real alternative to using Illustrator.

The thing is we don't want to copy features from other applications. If there is consensus or convergence of how an interaction should work then we may adopt it but otherwise we must do it our own way.

I can understand where you want to chart your own course. Especially if it's a smarter way to go.

I'm getting used to afd's paste in place and just recently noticed what Andy referred to above, if the copied element is off screen then the paste is pasted in the viewable screen area. This works for me, and it was a welcome surprise but again I'd like to know about some of these hidden gems. :) How many more are there that I haven't discovered yet? 

• 2 years later...

Hi.

I remove from the grave this old thread because I'm testing Affinity Designer and regret to not have a "paste in place" option.

Any more information now about that?

I used to work with Illustrator since many years, and it's very useful and avoid some layers manipulations.

For exemple to access to an object below an other, I cut the first, work on the second, and then past in place the first, without moving my hands of their position, check and uncheck layers etc.

Or if I need to copy a logo, adress... from a packaging file, to the same packaging in an other language and file, I just cut from one and paste in place on the second without using coordinates.

I "past in place" dozen times a day because I found sometimes it's the quickest way to do my job.

But I admit my way to work is made with habits due to specific tools. And new software means new tools, and new habits, non necessary worse or better, just differents.

And sorry for my english, that was not my favorite subject at school, I regret.

• Staff

Hi Nikko,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo/Designer paste in place by default. What the OP (Dams) is requesting is the ability to also paste in the center of the document.
So if you currently duplicate a layer or copy/cut and paste an object it should be placed in the exact same position as the original.

@Nikko,

I am guessing what might be causing the issue for you. As MattP mentioned, if you copy an object and then move your view away from the copied region, then the pasted content will not paste where it was copied. The copied objects will always paste in the same position but only if the original position is in sight in the time of pasting.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Oups yes, sorry...

I was testing from a wokplane to a second. (I don't know if "workplane" is the right word in English for "plan de travail" in French).

In case of multi versions of a document or pages in a single file, it's really handy.

Edit:

Possible in the futur to paste in place between 2 canevas/workplan in the same file?