You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo UI/UX Suggestions

This is a WIP list of the things I'd like to see implemented. All of these are things that come up while I work retouching photos for my work.

• Show alt-modes/tooltips when hovering over different UI elements, the same way you are told different ways to use tools on the bottom of the UI. For example beign told ctrl(cmd)+click on a layer miniature makes a pixel selection.
  • Beign able to make pixel selections from curve layers thumbnails with ctrl+click or from Layers > Make selection from layer.
  • Not deleting a Curve layer when making pixel selections from it.
  • Beign able to make pixel selection from hidden layers.
  • Ability to click the checkbox in layers panel and drag it up/down to toggle visibility of multiple layers.
  • Ability to quickly use colorpick when a specific point in a gradient is selected.
  • Ability to colorpick from current layer or global source when in paint brush tool (currently it just picks from global source when pressing alt+click).
  • Ability to introduce rotation degrees as a negative value. i.e. -10 for a 350 rotation.
  • Ability to merge down pixel and non-pixel layers below with ctrl+e.
  • Shortcuts for expand group(children elements).
  • Ability to assign toggle show/hide layer on the same shortcut.

54 minutes ago, Arceom said:

Show alt-modes/tooltips when hovering over different UI elements, the same way you are told different ways to use tools on the bottom of the UI. For example beign told ctrl(cmd)+click on a layer miniature makes a pixel selection.

That would get old fast, as this would require large tooltips that would get in the way of seeing what you are doing.

55 minutes ago, Arceom said:

Ability to click the checkbox in layers panel and drag it up/down to toggle visibility of multiple layers.

That is not a normal behavior for a checkbox and does not impress me as a good idea.  I think it would be better to select the layers in the panel (which would allow for discontiguous selections as well) and have the click of a checkbox for any of the selected layers applied to all those selected.

19 hours ago, fde101 said:

That is not a normal behavior for a checkbox and does not impress me as a good idea.  I think it would be better to select the layers in the panel (which would allow for discontiguous selections as well) and have the click of a checkbox for any of the selected layers applied to all those selected.

It was weird for me at the beginning, put this is how it works in photoshop and I think many people are already familiar with this behavior.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:33 AM, Arceom said:

It was weird for me at the beginning, put this is how it works in photoshop and I think many people are already familiar with this behavior.

It's fast and easy once you know it's there, I use that a LOT. Every second adds up - if it still behaves like a checkbox otherwise, there's no reason not to make it a "super checkbox". 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM