You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: A Better Way to Manage Brushes

I love Affinity Photo and Designer on the iPad. It's amazing how well things are designed and thought out. There's just one area that I really struggle with and it's managing brushes. It's just not easy to organize large collections of brushes. I can't reorder brushes based on how I use them. Moving a brush to a category just puts it at the bottom and then I'm stuck scrolling to the bottom to find that category. Or I have to create a new category and very carefully add each brush in the order I want (and if I mess up I have to delete it and start over). Managing brushes just seems very unintuitive at the moment.

and it would also be really useful if (in all apps on desktop as well):

A: the selected brush in the list stayed highlighted as long as it is being used and
B: there was a reset button to go back to the brushes original settings.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Yeah I agree @PaulEC. Also, when I start the app I want to start the last brush and category I was using. Currently it defaults to the "painting" category every time but most of the brushes I use are custom brushes so that behavior isn't very helpful (especially when you have a lot of categories to scroll through).

I wrote on another post but to restate:

This would be such a big win! The packs that you buy on affinity.com are both wonderful and unusable on IOS because there are so brushes many you have to constantly hunt. I also have the PC version so I can rearrange brushes there but if i'm out drawing, the whole point of the ipad is that i am not lugging my laptop around. Also the ability to reorder categories/groupings of brushes. If there's a place to upvote this, I'd love to do that. It's not an absurd feature request and it's included in the desktop version. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2019 at 6:44 AM, HYR said:

Yeah I agree @PaulEC. Also, when I start the app I want to start the last brush and category I was using. Currently it defaults to the "painting" category every time but most of the brushes I use are custom brushes so that behavior isn't very helpful (especially when you have a lot of categories to scroll through).

You can "reset" the brush back to it’s default settings. Right click the brush on Desktop or long hold and select reset.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Twoifiplay said:

I wrote on another post but to restate:

This would be such a big win! The packs that you buy on affinity.com are both wonderful and unusable on IOS because there are so brushes many you have to constantly hunt. I also have the PC version so I can rearrange brushes there but if i'm out drawing, the whole point of the ipad is that i am not lugging my laptop around. Also the ability to reorder categories/groupings of brushes. If there's a place to upvote this, I'd love to do that. It's not an absurd feature request and it's included in the desktop version. Thanks!

I believe the reason the didn’t do this on the iPad was because the long hold provides features and as a program developer and software analyst myself, this would not be possible to do in this fashion. I wrote my suggestion on another forum post as follows. 

I’m not sure as to the programmer’s or software analyst’s thinking process on this at all. 

As a developer myself, I would like to see them have this feature include the option to set back to default (like the do with the name (alphabetically; normal alphabet, not like MS Excel does), sort by date as they already have & the ability to have a button toggle to initiate manual sorting. Simply toggle the button and then be able to drag and drop the where you want them. This would allow them to keep the long hold (on iPad) or right click (on the Desktop) for edit, duplicate, etc.

I believe this could have been a reason they may have chose not to add it in, but there’s always way around it. 

I would also like to see the option to duplicate and keep the same name as the original brush with (2) after it. It’s extremely annoying to have it named to "Brush Copy" & throw it to the bottom of the list. I don’t mind it being put there, but if you’re wanting to make a new category using brushes from a 124 brush bundle, but want your favorite brushes from that pack in another location for easy access when doing a particular drawing, it’s so difficult to have to rename them every single time and having to add them in the order you want them to be exactly with now way of moving them around. Just my opinion.

What do you think?

and absolutely give the option to return to the last brush & category last used! Put that feature as a check box to enable or disable in the settings of the main program or something. Or also allow us to select a brush and category we always want it to return to! I would seriously use both of these features when doing different kinds of projects. If I’m sketching I want a certain brush to load when I come back and other times I just want to save it real quick and come right back, so I want it to load the last brush. I can see where both would be useful. 

3 hours ago, RussBishopSr said:

You can "reset" the brush back to it’s default settings

That works if you have simply adjusted the brush using the settings on the Context Toolbar, but not if you have Edited the brush and saved the edits.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1