You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop layer styles -- any way to convert?

Hello!

I saw in another post that Affinity Photo can't import Photoshop styles (.asl).  Two questions, if I may:

1.  Is this ability planned for the future?

2.  Is there any other way to get PS layer styles into Affinity Photo?

Worst-case, if I create a bunch of objects with the layer styles in Photoshop, then import that file into Affinity Photo, will I be able to define Affinity styles from the objects?

Thanks very much!

B

• Staff

We don't current plan on importing .asi styles but if there is enough interest then we might have a go,

You should be able to import objects from a psd file. You could try it in the Affinity Designer trial as they use the same effect engine.

Thanks for the fast reply!

So, for example -- I import a PSD file that contains squares with styles applied to them from PS.  From one of the squares, can I "define style" to create a new style in Photo or Designer with all the supported attributes from that square?

• Staff

Thanks for the fast reply!

So, for example -- I import a PSD file that contains squares with styles applied to them from PS.  From one of the squares, can I "define style" to create a new style in Photo or Designer with all the supported attributes from that square?

Yes, right click on the object with the imported style and then choose 'Create style' 

We will improve the granularity of styles going forward but have a go in the Designer Trial and see how you get on.

• 10 months later...

Any new news on this feature request? I design but not much, and I really want to be able to purchase style sets from Creative Market and be able to use them in Affinity. I can't use the option of saving a PSD document with Adobe because I don't have Photoshop. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes, right click on the object with the imported style and then choose 'Create style' 

Hallo, diese Methode funktioniert nicht ganz, denn die Musterüberlagerung wird nicht mitgenommen. In PS wird durch den Stil die Oberflächenfarbe geändert. Es wäre sehr hilfreich, könnte man PS-Stile einfach laden (*.asl), denn es gibt einfach so viele.

Hi, I'll try to answer in english, but that isn't easy for me. Some effects of a simple PSD-File (transparent layer, a rectangle and a style with   an Inner Shadow, an Outer Glow, a Drop Shadow, a Gradient Overlay) are okay, but the Pattern Overlay was not taken. This means, that the colour of the style did not change.

It could be very useful to load PS-styles, because there are so much of them ;)

• 9 months later...
On 27.11.2017 at 0:13 PM, Solarra said:

Not being able to import everything I use in photoshop is what is making me not buy this software.

Nur, wenn man alle Photoshop-Versionen mitgemacht hat weiß man, dass auch diese sich im Lauf der Zeit zum Teil stark verändert haben. Mit dieser Einstellung darf man weder eine neue Programmversion noch ein anderes Programm, aber auch keine Updates von Betriebssystem und Treibern machen.

Für mich gilt, dass ein Programm, mit dessen Bedienung und Funktionen und allem sonstigen zufrieden bin das ist, das ich nutze.

Google translation:

But if you've been through all versions of Photoshop, you know that these too have changed greatly in the course of time. With this setting you can not make a new program version or another program, but also no updates of operating system and drivers.
For me, a program that satisfies its operation and functions and everything else is what I use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2015 at 3:33 PM, TonyB said:

We don't current plan on importing .asi styles but if there is enough interest then we might have a go,

You should be able to import objects from a psd file. You could try it in the Affinity Designer trial as they use the same effect engine.

I have sooooo many photoshop  layer styles i would love to keep using in my projects. I just brought Affinity Photo and plan to get Affinity Designer real soon. I would love to bring along my Styles from photoshop.

I'm not sure how you copy across styles from Photoshop. 

For example I have a Pattern Style in PS Layer Styles - Effects but there is no corresponding Effects Layer in AD  

[Edit] Would it be possible to import the PAT files from the Pattern folder in Photoshop ?

Victoria - Photoshop layers.JPG

Edited by DSNet
Added a question

Hi, DSNet,

Both AD and AP have effects. Access is from a tab usually associated with the layers panel. Once an object has been set up with bevels, bit map fills, etc, it can be saved as a style. Looking at your screen  cap, I note that PS has an effect, called style in PS, that doesn't exist in Affinity, namely "satin." So I suppose that bringing PS Layer Styles would necessitate Serif re-creating PS styles, and interpreting them as implemented in Affinity.

There have been comments that Affinity only implements other program's features when those features are published as an open standard, not a proprietary one.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 months later...

Not being able to import everything I use in photoshop is what is making me not buy this software.

I purchased the software and I realized I can't import styles, shapes, etc., so now Affinity Photo is just sitting on my computer in the Software Graveyard.

Selfish not to support a premium software like Photoshop add ons, etc.

34 minutes ago, davidjovan said:

I purchased the software and I realized I can't import styles, shapes, etc., so now Affinity Photo is just sitting on my computer in the Software Graveyard.

Selfish not to support a premium software like Photoshop add ons, etc.

Why would you ever expect Affinity to support all these Photoshop components.

Clearly if you are so dependent on PS then that is probably the only software you can use?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is extremely frustrating to learn about, I think the money wasted on parts of my design asset library still unsupported by the affinity suite (e.g.: .tpl, .asl, .pat and more) is really starting to grow on me. I would appreciate it so much if we could get any feedback or advancements on this topic. I love affinity, but there really are just those small things like unsupported file formats that keep throwing me off regularly.

Thank you!

Es geht bei Stilen, Mustern usw. nicht um das einfache Lesen eines Dateiformats. PS und AP verfolgen ganz andere Programmansätze, um ähnliche Ergebnisse zu erreichen. Die einzige Möglichkeit besteht darin, dass der Hersteller eines Stils diesen für AP programmiert. Ein gutes Beispiel dafür ist der "Stained Glass Creator" von Artifex Forge. Den gibt es für AI bzw. PS (die Rahmen werden in AI gezeichnet, nach PS transferiert und dort werden die Gläser als Stile eingesetzt). Und es gibt eine Affinity-Version, für die benötigt man nur den Designer. Mit eigenen Affinity-Vektorpinseln und Fenstergläser als Stilen.
Dass Affinity das PSD-Dateiformat liest und schreibt, dass ABR-Pinsel verwendet werden können, dass AD auch das AI-Format lesen kann ist, wie ich meine, sehr viel Kompatibilität.
Ich bedaure es auch, dass ich viele Stile in AP nicht weiter verwenden kann, doch wenn ich einen unbedingt benötige, dann kann ich ja mein gekaufte CS6 nutzen, danach ist A. für mich ohnehin erledigt.

Styles, patterns etc. are not about simply reading a file format. PS and AP use completely different programming approaches to achieve similar results. The only possibility is that the manufacturer of a style programs it for AP. A good example is the "Stained Glass Creator" from Artifex Forge. This is available for AI and PS (the frames are drawn in AI, transferred to PS and there the glasses are used as styles). And there is an affinity version, for which you only need the Designer. With native affinity vector brushes and window glasses as styles.
That Affinity reads and writes the PSD file format, that ABR brushes can be used, that AD can also read the AI format is, I think, a lot of compatibility.
I also regret that I can't continue to use many styles in AP, but if I absolutely need one, I can use my purchased CS6, after that A. is done for me anyway.