You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher is Apple’s Mac App of the Year

Patrick Connor

ConCats! Curious what Affinity app will win 2020.

Seriously, I hope none.  I do not have Affinity Publisher, but I do rely heavily on Affinity Photo.  I am dismayed at how long some features remain broken, while others seem trapped in a cycle of breaking, being fixed, then regressing.  A long thread about compatibility with Apple Photos is an example of the former.  And it is still not possible to print directly (i. e., without merging layers or exporting to another format ... except PDF) an .afphoto that uses live filters. In my experience as a software developer for a major Swiss bank and a large Swiss pharmaceutical company, it is sometimes necessary to put new software and new features on the back burner in order to fix the foundations of existing products.  This would be a good time to do so.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

So has any other software company gone three for three for so much Apple award recognition for their version 1 apps?

All three sport Editors Choice badges on the Mac App Store. AD is an Apple Design Award Winner & the other two are App of the Year winners. Currently in the US Store all three are on the Top Paid apps list.

Correction: I forgot that both iPad apps are also Editors Choices, & both are on the Top paid list. So I guess we could say Affinity has gone five for five.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, 78deluxe said:

Hopefully the much larger market (over 75%) which is the Microsoft Platform also provides you with the same level of acolade and recognition. 

Feeling better now?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hi Patrick its excellant news that Apple have announced that Affinity publisher is the Mac app of the year, but what about Affinity Photo? you have said this is being looked into regarding the error when loading edited picture to Apple photo's. what I can't understand is how some people have Affinity Photo with Catalina but others don't. I appreciate there is no end time for this issue to be resolved but why can some get Affinity with Catalina and others don't? 

• Staff

@Barry Gibbs

This thread is not the right place for this discussion. The very next photo beta/release on Mac will resolve this issue. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 12/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, appaulmac said:

Congratulations! And well deserved. Keep up the great work.. of keeping me off of any Adobe products :p

Sorry for the laughing smiley, but I had to laugh so hard. Adobe I avoid now too like a plague. I was before a real Adobe fan-girl and here I am now :)

Congratulations, team! I kind of expected this, but it's still rewarding, ain't it?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Serif are certainly a spectacularly industrious company. Congratulations on the Apple Award it is well-deserved. Your legacy applications were also award winners in their filed as I remember. Particularly PagePlus. I hope Affinity Publisher will go from strength to strength and become a new industry standard that will remain powerful and affordable for users and professionals alike.

Wow! Again! Congratulations. Richly deserved.

As exciting as this award is, the absolute killer news is this little gem tucked away in your award announcement:

'There’s some great stuff coming in our 1.8 update (including IDML import in Affinity Publisher!) which should be with you early in the New Year… '

I see a very large Adobe rock coming off a lot of shoulders in early 2020.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Barry Gibbs

This thread is not the right place for this discussion. The very next photo beta/release on Mac will resolve this issue. 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Barry Gibbs

I know this is on the wrong thread, But any news on when the beta/release  will be updated. Also why are some people not experiencing the same problem as some of us?

11 minutes ago, Barry Gibbs said:

I know this is on the wrong thread, But any news on when the beta/release  will be updated. Also why are some people not experiencing the same problem as some of us?

If you have not already found it there is a beta now that can mostly work with Apple Photos on Catalina. It can be found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/104964-affinity-photo-customer-beta-180163/

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 10 months later...