You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing German translation

• Staff

The Affinity Publisher Windows customer beta 1.8.0 has all UI locales available.

In the Edit menu > Preferences > General you can choose any of the 10 languages, restart the application and experience Affinity Publisher in that locale.

We are hoping that the localisation is now correct, but if you see any words or phrases that are out of the ordinary, or are clipped/cropped short in the Windows build PLEASE report them in this thread, stating the language and version you are running and what OS you are seeing the problem on.

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English, so Bugs in new threads, localisation issues in this thread.

The help file is still out for translation (sorry) but this thread can be used to report anything you see in the software.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

I know that new features take some time to translate, just for the records. ;)

Panel Text Frame: Column Rules partially not translated

Boxes for Embedded documents: Partially not translated

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

German

Spread setup. There you are talking about Spread xy, but it should be called Layoutseite xy. Same for Master pages.

Maybe you should think about simply calling it Seiten instead of Layoutseiten. I mean the Panel is called Seiten, not Layoutseiten. I think we understand well enough what this is all about.

spread.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Patrick Connor

some translation-related issues I found:

- translation missing:
image.png.f7895b81a508085fe4db573aa0d23a37.png

- german text too long:
image.png.252c98c46fc37323e1776158ed49b460.png

2 issues in one: german vs. german
- 1st: hyphenation: a language called "la" ?  (see below)
- 2nd is more tricky to explain:
  German is spoken in several countries like Germany, Austria and parts of Switzerland; Windows offers language-settings for that:

image.png.f6307717d937b9f2bbed923140f2a510.png

AFAIK, the identifier-codes are called: LCID
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/office_standards/ms-oe376/6c085406-a698-4e12-9d4d-c3b0ee3dbc4a
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-lcid/70feba9f-294e-491e-b6eb-56532684c37f

The language-differences between those "German-s" are small, compared to the majority of words that are in common.
(I guess its similar to US-English and GB-English..)

The issue is, that a Windows-System which is set to German-Austria (DE-AT) is not recognized by Publisher as "german"
and the spell-checker defaults to "unknown".  (see below)

I think, it would be very useful to map all kinds of "German"-settings to German-Germany (de-de) - at least as a workaround
until you can offer language-tools in additional languages.

Austria: DE-AT -> DE-DE
Switzerland: DE-CH -> DE-DE
Liechtenstein: DE-LI -> DE-DE
Luxemburg: DE-LU-> DE-DE

image.png.8dc454f6e0ccbe83cfd8eadea89ee99f.png

Thanks in advance!

kind regards,
Fritz

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

On 12/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, Joachim_L said:

German

Collect, see the image.

collector.jpg

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Resource Manager - Collect Prompt for Folder location dialog untranslated) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

If any of these reported problems have not been fixed in the release build 1.8.3, please make a new thread in the bugs forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd