You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measuring tool like feature in Serif Draw Plus

The move tool and the transform panel give you these measurements. Are you wanting to extract these to paste them into your diagram? 

I ask because what you show looks similar to using the Move tool.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

I ask because what you show looks similar to using the Move tool.

I get the impression he is looking to have the dimensions added to the document itself.  This is really a CAD feature rather than an illustration feature; not a bad request, but not sure how much of a priority Serif is likely to give it.

That said, this has already been requested on numerous other threads, making this one redundant, but also indicating that there are others hoping for this as well.

@fde101

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I worked with serif draw plus in the last 10 years and there was this feature already implemented. Because I used it for working plans to build things in my woodshop. So I'm missing this feature so bad.:-(

Therefore I have to use the "old" serif Draw versions to construct something in that way.
Hopefully Serif will implement this feature sometimes in the future builds of Affinity designer.

Thank's for all of your comments

Regards

Tom

Use cases are many

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 3 weeks later...

I too would welcome a means to add measurements to a design. I use Affinity Designer in many ways, but my main use is designing lighting for large scale concerts. There are software applications within our industry for doing this but Designer provides a illustrative 'feel' to design with a much larger 'expressive' palate. Combining lighting design with the set-design within Designer has become simply a glorious way to be creative. Once a design has been finalised, I have a need to create a layer where dimensions and measurements can be attributed to the design. This allows me (in the real world) to identify the various lighting units that might be used to achieve the effects created. This can then be turned into a project listing of material needs. In a typical lighting rig you might have 100's of luminaries that have to be precisely positioned on various hanging truss. The ability to be able to draw accurate dimensions within designer is fundamental. It surely can't be too hard to provide as the underlying dimensions are already there when moving objects around the document? For me, this facility would complete the package and allow me to leave Illustrator for good!