You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 tif file limitations please

Are you having a problem with TIFF files? If so, describing it might help guide our answers :)

Regarding the extension: The Affinity applications will open files with either extension, but prefer to export using the .tiff extension. There is a trick to get around that on Windows, but I'm not sure if it works on Mac. On Windows I can simply add the extension .tif at the end of the file name if I want to use that one instead of having .tiff automatically applied.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

My problems are not new.  I have tif files that I can open at around 600-700Mb but any larger than this get a 'file no supported' popup window.  This is an improvement on the crash that occurred in slightly earlier versions of Affinity Photo.

I note that there are actually a good number of tif file extensions / tags  over the years so that is why I asked the question.  (See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF)

Thanks.

7 hours ago, swmcl-affinity said:

I have tif files that I can open at around 600-700Mb but any larger than this get a 'file no supported' popup window. 

If you mean that they're not opening in Affinity, then I think what you need to look at is what created the files that are not supported, and work from there. Or provide one of the files (probably by uploading to Dropbox or another sharing service and providing a link) so we can try ourselves.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt,

The tif files are created by the scanner software called Vuescan.  The tif files are able to be opened in Gimp.  I do nothing different scanning at low-res to scanning at high-res on the Vuescan software so the actual format of the files would be the same.

I would need to pay for a Dropbox account that would allow large enough file sizes.  It also means my monthly internet quota would be hit hard when uploading and downloading such file sizes.  I've had the discussion before.  I would rather pay to send a USB key to someone.  I cannot afford to compomise the home internet account because of the need for the kids to use it for school.

Rgds,

Steve

1 hour ago, swmcl-affinity said:

The tif files are created by the scanner software called Vuescan. 

If they are grayscale I think that might be a known problem. If you can tell me the Vuescan settings you used I can try to recreate the problem.

-- Walt
PC: