You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem Inserting English Filler Text

In all prior Affinity applications, including the 1.8 Publisher beta before 1.8.0.518, pressing Shift while inserting filler text into a text frame gives filler in English (specifically, from Lewis Carroll) rather than in Latin. That no longer happens in 1.8.0.518. The filler text is always Latin now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

The original hardcoded modifier for <Shift> when using this function was incompatible with assignment of a user shortcut which included <Shift> so the hardcoded modifier has been removed.

Thanks, Adam. That makes sense, but does that mean that the complete function of adding Lewis Carroll filler text was also removed? I don't see a way to enable that, any more, and it was useful. (Yes, I know I could add my own filler text for English via Preferences, but I'd prefer the random parts of Alice that I was getting before.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:21 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Adam. That makes sense, but does that mean that the complete function of adding Lewis Carroll filler text was also removed? I don't see a way to enable that, any more, and it was useful. (Yes, I know I could add my own filler text for English via Preferences, but I'd prefer the random parts of Alice that I was getting before.)

If you add text to Preferences, it will pick a random chunk of it each time you insert filler, just as it does for built-in text. Alice in Wonderland is out of copyright now, so you can find it online, eg at The Literature Project. The built-in text starts at "So she set the little creature down" and goes to the end of the chapter. It looks like it uses different quote marks but is otherwise the same.

Thanks, Dave!

Would still be nice, though, to have a choice while inserting the filler, that did not involve having to change the language via the Character panel. Possibly a sub-option on the Text menu? Insert Filler Text > <pick a language>.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.