You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to set all Affinity programs to open files at 100% view?

There is no way to set a default zoom level.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Welcome to the forums.
As far as I know, R C-R is correct and documents will always open at a ‘zoom-to-fit’ size and there’s no way to change it.
Personally I don’t see this as a “weird” thing but it doesn’t cause me any problems so I’ve never needed anything else.
If there a specific problem that it’s causing or is it just a personal preference?
Also, what advantages would you get from always initially viewing the document at 100% that you don’t get from zoom-to-fit?
On a related note, would it alternatively be better to view the document initially at the last zoom setting rather than 100%? Would that be a better option?

@stranded, if there was a default to open at 100%, what part of the file would you want it to show when the file's dimensions are substantially larger than the workspace window -- the center, upper left corner, something else?

Whichever one you would prefer, what would the advantage of not being able to initially see all of the file?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's quite simple:

1) If the image is bigger than the actual workspace, fit it to screen

2) if the image is smaller than the workspace, show 100%

Imagine that I work with hundreds of small icons daily (for website purposes etc.), most of them are raster so I get 64px icon stretched out on my screen every time I open new file.

It would be awesome to have that behavior just like in Photoshop or just make it optional.

3 minutes ago, stranded said:

Imagine that I work with hundreds of small icons daily (for website purposes etc.), most of them are raster so I get 64px icon stretched out on my screen every time I open new file.

My workspace window is typically at least 1500 x 1000 px or so. If there was a default to 100% that worked as you suggest, a 64 px icon would be so tiny, less than an 1" square on the screen, that it would be very difficult to edit any part of it with precision, most snapping options would be useless, & so on.

Besides, there is no way to guarantee that every browser would display the icon at 64 px, so what would the advantage of this default in practical terms?

Affinity Photo 

If there was a default to 100% that worked as you suggest, a 64 px icon would be so tiny, less than an 1" square on the screen, that it would be very difficult to edit any part of it with precision, most snapping options would be useless, & so on.

And this is where I zoom in and work on it. I just want to see it at it's actual size when I open it up no matter what.

Besides, there is no way to guarantee that every browser would display the icon at 64 px, so what would the advantage of this default in practical terms?

That was just an example and there is responsive web design for a reason. The icons could be either 2000x2000 or even SVG, that's not the point here.

Edited by stranded

28 minutes ago, stranded said:

And this is where I zoom in and work on it. I just want to see it at it's actual size when I open it up no matter what.

OK, but I do not understand why anyone would want to do that in an application designed for editing graphics. There are other apps designed for web page design, but none of the Affinity apps are really designed for that.

Affinity Photo 

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

OK, but I do not understand why anyone would want to do that in an application designed for editing graphics. There are other apps designed for web page design, but none of the Affinity apps are really designed for that.

This isn't something coming out of my mind, this is how it works in Photoshop.

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There are other apps designed for web page design, but none of the Affinity apps are really designed for that.

The Affinity apps are excellent for web design - that's my primary use for them. Not sure I'd want the 100% default thing, but it wouldn't hurt to have as a preference tucked away somewhere.

1 hour ago, stranded said:

This isn't something coming out of my mind, this is how it works in Photoshop.

Be that as it may, I still do not see what practical value it would have if any of the 3 Affinity apps had this as a "me too" Photoshop-like feature. AD is well suited particularly for creating vector-based icons that can be incorporated into web page designs, & any of the 3 could be used to create mockups of web pages, but none of them are capable of actually creating functional web pages.

Nevertheless, if the zoom default is a feature you want, all you can do is what you have done & add it to the feature request section & see if it gets much support from other users.

Affinity Photo